We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville golf?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Topic
Asheville golf?

We are thinking about playing Reems creek and the biltmore course what are your thoughts

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville golf?

Reems Creek is very hilly. Just walking from the cart path to and around the greens can wear you out. Views from tees and greens are amazing, but you have to look at the course layout and plan your shots so you don't leave yourself in a bad spot for the next shot. Some areas of the course dont drain well and can be either swampy or brown if there has been a lot of rain. Very enjoyable. Biltmore Country Club course is rolling, tighter fairways, faster greens, usually in excellent shape. A real challenge for a hacker, very enjoyable for a good golfer. Also consider Country Club of Asheville, the Grove Park Inn course, Mt. Mitchell Golf Club. Each is a great course but all quite different.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville golf?

Of the ones you just listed and keeping close proximity in mind which two would you choose.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville golf?

My driver and approach irons frequently miss their target, so Biltmore Forest CC is murder on me. If Mt. Mitchell wasn't a 90 minute drive, it would be my first choice. I really like the GPI course because it has flat holes, holes that climb steeply, holes that fall from elevated tees then go back up to elevated greens and even a couple doglegs left, which are unusual, and its enough of a challenge to keep you on your toes. Likewise Country Club of Asheville. Reems Creek is so hilly that it used to be cart paths-only on many holes and 90 degree rule on the rest, but they've eased up on that and I really like the views. I hate playing a new (to me) course because I end up losing strokes to unplanned shot placement in creeks, side hills, etc. So I would probably play GPI twice and see how much better I did the second 18.. If I picked two, it would be GPI and CCA. (They are both Donald Ross layouts. In fact, the GPI course used to be the CCA, then GPI bought them out and they moved 2 miles north).

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville golf?

Mangoboat your welcome to join us at rheems creek and give us advice we will cover your tee fee and you can give us some course advice. Thank you for your advice and direction.

Regards,

JM

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville golf?

Thanks for a great offer! I suspect you would retract it if you saw my game, but let me know when you're coming to town and I'll see what's on the honey-do list. This has been a great summer for paddling and I've been on the river almost every weekend day.

6. Re: Asheville golf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17