We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England in the Fall - any suggestions

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford
3 posts
Save Topic
New England in the Fall - any suggestions

Hello My husband and I plus another couple are planning a trip to New England this October. We are starting in Boston, hiring a car and driving in a big circle and have been told that we should go to Kennebunkport, Jackson, Stowe (Vermont), Stockbridge, Newport and Sandwich. We don't like one night stops (too much trouble unpacking and packing again!) so think 2 nights in each place would be best. Any thoughts on that? We would prefer to stay in inns so any info would be appreciated. We have used trip advisor to check out several already and it's really useful.

Any comments as to itinerary, accommodation and length of stay in each place would be much appreciated.

THank you

Kennebunk, Maine
13 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

No one has mentioned your Kennebunkport stop so I will have to give my opinion! It is my home town and I love it! It is the most beautiful place you will visit on your trip, I am very parcial but anything in Cape Cod just doesn't do it for me. The coastlines of Maine are truely breathtaking without all that commercialized mumbo jumbo. The Captain Lord Mansion in Kennebunkport "the port" is beautiful and sounds like something you would enjoy. Spend at least two days in Boston - - I also lived there for two years and there is so much to do and see. It will be a great trip!

Middletown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

I would definitely reccomend going from Boston to Maine up route 1 (but don't get on route 1 until you get to Maine). Take this up through Kittery, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and don't miss Portland, they are all great arty towns (Kittery is all outlets so only stop if you are into that) also becasue they are little, they ony take a couple hours each to explore. I would then travel to Vt through the Green Mtns, which are beautiful. I would definately not miss Burlington Vt, since you will be so close by. There is much more to do there than the tiny town of Stowe, and it has lovely views of Lake Champlain and a great downtown, with a quaint feel. Seek out a sugarhouse while in Vt (maple syrup/product maker) they are fabulous places to have breakfast and are a true New England thing. If you are interested in driving the back roads, I would take route 7 all the way down from VT to Lenox, Stockbridge, but try to see some of the other towns on the way..even if you just take a ride through their streets, like Quechee and Bennington Vt, Williamstown Ma and if you are interested, there is the Hancock Shaker Villege in Pittsfield Ma which is an interesting place to tour. From this part of Ma to Ri there isn't really a lot to see or do. I am from western Ma and now live in CT, so I have been to all of these places, on almost a yearly basis, but there isn't much in CT for tourists, although Mystic is a grest town, off I95 to stop in, if you are going that way to Newport. I would definitely spend a few days in Newport. The mansions and downtown are captivating but you can't see them all in one day, and the cheapest thing to do is buy a pass to see (I think) 5 of the houses, which is like $30 per person rather than $15 per house, and you can use the pass whenever you'd like. Also the last thing I would suggest is to see more of the Cape, it shouldn't be crowded in Oct, and if you have a chance try to venture to Nantucket or Martha's Vinyard. You can just park and take the ferry for a day, or instead travel all the way up the cape to Provencetown. I don't know what it is like there in fall but in the summer it is a great place to walk the streets, shop and see the eccentric culture..though it is a long drive all the way to the tip. I hope you have a wonderful time, and in Oct the leaves are in full color swing, of course it always depends on the weather, how and when the leaves change, but they ususally start in late Sept and are done in mid Nov, so Oct is the right time to go.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

For European visitors, I wouldn't be in a hurry to go to Newport. The attraction is several palacial houses built by mega-rich tycoons. (You have a country full of palaces. For Americans, they're a novelty.) Yes, Newport's a nice town, but from the Berkshires, I'd take the quick drive east on the Massachusetts Turnpike, go to Woods Hole and take the short ferry ride over to Nantucket. It's an unspoiled old whaling town. The White Elephant is a wonderful hotel. Also the Jared Coffin House.

Kiwi visitor
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

Thanks Alanm - we realise now we will be too early for the leaves but we are still looking forward to our visit.

Our tentative itinerary is to head west from Boston Sep 15 to Pittsfield, north through Bennington, up to Lake Placid, east to Montpelier (possibly side tripping to Burlington), through Conway to Portland and back to Boston Sep 23. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

My husband and I want to tour New England in the fall but would like to find a coach tour to do the driving. Any suggestions along those lines?

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

TO: Roses64068:

Try:

www.brushhilltours.com/tours/grand.html

17. Re: New England in the Fall - any suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 10:17