We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Hi we are travelling from the UK on holiday in Oct. we are looking at staying in Boston for the 2 nights list above... any ideas on centrally located reasonable hotels would be great, the hotels are looking REALLY expensive over them dates. And there is nothing better than local knowledge. Thanks Lee

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
13 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,687 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Unfortunately October is one of the most expensive times of the year. How many people are travelling, how many beds do you need and what is your preferred nightly budget?

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Thanks for your reply. There are 4 of us travelling so 2 rooms needed. As for budget not sure, We are happy to pay for a decent location we are not on a shoestring but have not got the local knowledge in terms of where to look for somewhere nice but reasonable.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,943 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Here's the problem. "Decent Location" is vague. "Not on a shoestring is vague". I can't tell you how many times we come up with something and the response is "but I need to be near shopping" or "$400 night per room is ridiculous".

If you can give us a budget in USD and tell us what you want to see in Boston, we can find you something that is likely to work. If you can only give vague directions I'd expect our advice would be less than top-notch.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

That is a very expensive time for hotels in Boston. I did a quick check on Hotels.com for your dates and, at the high end, the Four Seasons had 3 rooms left at $965/night (not a typo!). Other hotels are running in the $400-$600/night range.

I did find the Omni Parker House, an historic Boston hotel in a great location for sightseeing, offering a rate of $339/night - given the other nightly rates for your dates, that is a great deal.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Omni Parker House
Omni Parker House
8,615 Reviews
Boston, MA
Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Hi Never been to Boston in my life so stick to the centre not even thought about what to see before I know I can afford it. As for budget $250 per room per night.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Did you see my response in #4? For $250/night you may be well out of the city proper or perhaps need to look out Air BnB - but check location with us before booking.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,943 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Southie Girl is correct. You've picked an expensive time to visit. $350/night would give you some options in the tourist areas. $250 would require a transit connection to get into the city: at least a 30 minute ride if not longer (plus the cost of transit).

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Hi, Thanks for all your excellent comments. I think it's safe to say that we won't be coming to Boston, I stopped in New York last year and for $1600 got 2 rooms for 4 nights on Times Square.

If we visit it will be a day trip! Couple more days in the mountains for us!

Lee

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Times Square
Times Square
45,694 Reviews
New York City, NY
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Come a few weeks later, like November, and prices will be quite different.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,943 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Boston 11-13 October

Alan is right. If you pick the right time Boston is cheaper than NYC. If you pick the wrong time (like one of the 2 busiest weekends of the year) it's gonna be wicked expensive here.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Reply to: Visiting Boston 11-13 October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted