We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

3 posts
Save Topic
Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Arriving Logan midnight Oct 17 with two teens for whirlwind college visit. Plan to tour BU and BC on the Wed 18th, then travel to Maine early am the 19th, New Hampshire the 20th and Vermont Sat am the 21st, driving back to Boston by late Saturday in order to make a 6:45 am Sunday flight out of Logan. Airport hotel or Back Bay area on 17th-18th? Get rental Wednesday night or Thursday morning? Rent at airport or downtown? What is best time to leave Thursday morning to avoid traffic going north to Maine? It's a 3 hour drive and need to be there for a 1pm Thursday appointment. Finally, is a 4am car rental return Sunday morning a good idea or return Saturday night and take airport hotel shuttle Sunday morning? Never been to Boston or the NE region, all tips welcome.

14 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Back Bay is more convenient to both BU and BC. You should probably not get a car until Thursday morning as the hotel will charge you about $50 to park it. I don't know what time your appointment at BC is, but if you are taking the B branch of the Green Line there note that it is slow as molasses and you should allow about 45 minutes. If you have to be in Maine at 1 and it's a 3 hour drive I don't think you can avoid rush hour traffic. You probably should leave around 9 at the latest.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Maine is big. Parts of it are 75 minutes from Boston. Parts are 5+ hours away.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Don't get a car your first day. Stay in a hotel in Back Bay and go to BC or BU as early as possible by uber or taxi, then go to the next school. Not sure how you are going to get in two scheduled tours in one day but maybe you can. Don't waste time on the T, the taxis will take you right to the admissions offices.

Reserve a car to pick up in Back Bay (there is a rental agency the Prudential center garage and one I the Motor Mart garage and I am sure there are others. Leave early for Maine. Where are you going in NH and VT?

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Thank you! Dartmouth and Middlebury are on our very ambitious agenda.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

I forgot to ask where in Maine also so I can advise you better - Bowdoin?

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Colby.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Colby is more than a three hour drive from Boston.

On your Boston day. Check out in the morning, leave your bags with the bellman. Uber to BU and BC. Uber to a rental car, return for bags, depart Boston for Maine early evening, say 7:00 PM. Stay somewhere around Portland -- or Kennebunk. Then drive to Colby without having morning Boston traffic. Otherwise, you should leave at 8:00AM to make sure you are there by 1:00 because there will be a LOT of traffic.

When you go from Waterville to Hanover, note that it's about 4 hours. The old expression "you can't get there from here" was first spoken in Waterville when someone asked for directions to Hanover.

Finally, I'd dump the car the night before your flight home and not have to worry about parking it or returning it.

Tell those teens to take notes about their visits. It'll be a blur when they get home (been there, Mom). And tell them they owe you for hauling them all over New England! ;)

Edited: 22 September 2017, 20:31
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

.... and how did BU make your list? It's not quite like the others. Great school of course, but I would have thought Tufts would make a list with Colby and Dartmouth.

FWIW, BU is a very large and very urban school. The little boy with the dog in my profile pic was not thrilled with the lack of green space or the enormity of the city campus.

Just an observation, of course... and I know you don't have time to add another school! Happy travels!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

Yes Colby is a real hike from both Boston and Dartmouth.

Make sure your student takes a lot of notes and that you discuss schools right away and keep notes of what you talk about - pros and cons. We always tried to do no more than one school a day and even that can be taxing for a prospective student. Make SURE your student talks face to face with admissions people, you want him/her to be remembered if possible.

BU is a really good school, it is just a very urban campus - better IMHO than BC which is a rich kid school. (as are they all to some extent). The resources at BU are impressive.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits

I think characterizing BC as a "rich kid school" is inaccurate compared with other area schools. I'm not trying to prompt a college discussion here, just wanted to weigh in on this for future readers.

Reply to: Midnight arrival & rental car for college visits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted