We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Boston

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Christmas in Boston

I will be traveling with my family to Boston on the 23rd of December and will be there for 6 nights. It is the first time my family will be experiencing a white Christmas. I have tickets for the Pats / Bills game on the 24th but would appreciate any advice fellow travellies and Bostonisns have to offer. For example, where should we have Christmas lunch, what do Bostonians traditionally do on the 26th of December, where is the best place to listen to Christmas carols and soak up the whole experience?

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
671 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
582 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,101 Reviews
from US$44.05*
4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Christmas in Boston

Firstly, you should love Boston. It's our favourite city. You should be aware there is absolutely no guarantee of a white Christmas. We too are there at the same and would love a white Christmas, but Boston weather in December is very unpredictable....... You should book somewhere for Christmas Day lunch since many restaurants close, 'though hotel restaurants will be open. I have reserved a table at Abe and Louie's but it depends what you want. If you want a traditional old school Christmas atmosphere, the Omni Parker hotel is a great choice, Parkers restaurant. As for carols, think about going to the Holiday Pops at Symphony Hall. I think Carolers tour the beautiful Beacon Hill area (think cobble streets, gas lamps, brownstone etc) on certain evenings.

Enjoy!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,740 posts
1 review
2. Re: Christmas in Boston

Bostonians traditionally shop for bargains of leftover Christmas items on December 26th. All are usually half price.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 13:26
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
217 reviews
3. Re: Christmas in Boston

Don’t set your heart on a white Christmas; Christmases around here without snow or only a coating of it are not unusual. The real snow usually hits mid January through March. However, you never know and I’ve heard that after this very warm autumn we may be looking at a snowier than usual winter.

On December 26, many people have to go back to work as it is not a holiday. Schools are out. Lots of people traditionally flock to stores and shopping malls to return gifts and to scoop up after-Christmas bargains.

You might book your Christmas Day dinner in a hotel since mostly everything will be shut on Christmas Day. Or, walk to Chinatown, which will have open restaurants. Most restaurants should be open on Christmas Eve; I’d book in advance.

For Christmas spirit, there has been a free holiday music and light show at Faneuil Hall called “Blink”. Also, the giant Christmas tree on Boston Common. Not sure about caroling, maybe someone else here would know??

Gillette Stadium for the Pats game is in a suburban town about a 45 minute drive away. If you don’t want to drive, you’ll need to book the special train that goes from Boston to the stadium just for games. I suppose you could Uber, but the area around the stadium is a traffic gridlock before and after games.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Christmas in Boston

You are very unlikely to see a White Christmas here, especially with recent climate changes. You'd probably need to go way north into VT or NH to see snow then.

As mentioned, bargain shopping is far and away the #1 activity on Dec 26, and all the stores will be mobbed. By the way, Dec 26 is NOT a holiday here in the USA, it's a normal work day.

As far as Christmassy things, go to Quincy Market in the evening and see "BLINK!" the Christmas light show they have, which is a lot of fun. There are also many Christmastime only shows which will be wrapping up around the time of your visit. The Nutcracker, Elf the Musical, the Christmas Revels, the Christmas Pops. Some of these may be having final shows on the 24th, so you'd want to check the schedules.

Boston Common will be lit up and very pretty for viewing at night. The large Christmas trees are found at Quincy Market and also at Boston Common and there's one at the Prudential Center. Last year, the City had a Christmas Market on City Hall Plaza with ice skating. The web site isn't really updated yet, but they list the schedule for this year and it runs until New Year's Eve, so that will be on while you are here.

http://bostonwinter.org/

Reply to: Christmas in Boston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted