We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Boston for 4 days in June before moving on to Cape Cod for a week. I'm just hoping for some tips around the best/safest places to stay.

I'm from London in the UK so am used to city life but just have some concerns around lone travelling. Is Boston a safe/friendly city, should I stay in the North or South etc., Are the taxis reasonably priced or is the public transport system adequate. I'm happy to explore the tourist trail by day and hope to enjoy and discover some nice local restaurants by night. Where's the best area to stay that can cover this without being too 'touristy'. Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

Yes, Boston is very safe. It's a small, compact city. You can get around easily by the T or walking. I'd recommend staying in the back bay, down town, or faneuil hall/quincy market area. If you want to ask us about specific hotels before you book, please do so.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

You'd have to intentionally try to get to a bad area. It's very very safe in the context of tourism. Friendly? Not especially IMO but not bad either.

I suggest searching the site and looking at the FAQ to choose an area.

If you plan to stay in Boston a cab would be reasonable. It's a small city so you can only go so far. The subway is cheap and easy though. But if you are fit and like to see things on foot I wouldn't bother with either for site seeing with a few possible exceptions like going to Cambridge or Fenway if you are staying on the waterfront.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

I will echo what others said. Boston is quite safe for anywhere a tourist would go. Any downtown neighborhood would be fine to stay in. The city is compact and easy to get around by foot and subway. The subway is safe even at night. Cabs are not cheap, but you probably won't need them much. Of course, there is Uber/Lyft/Fasten, too. People are generally friendly, but perhaps not as outgoing as people in the South or Midwest. We tend to like to give people their space, but are more than willing to help with directions, etc., or strike up a conversation if spoken to.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

Just know that while Boston is "walkable" in fact the whole extent of Boston is not. If you were to get an AirBnB, you should look on a map or check back with this board. Some places are not anywhere near the subway, and may not even be that close to a bus line.

Back Bay is the area with the most hotels and about 4 subways stops, shopping, etc and is near many historic sites. So no problem staying there. It is very close to other neighborhoods and not far from the Freedom Trail. But, in my opinion, it has inferior food so i would recommend looking elsewhere for good meals. I think you should not pick a place in the Seaport. It's just a bit isolated, and is all hotels and restaurants and high-tech firms.

You could also consider downtown Boston (I hear that 15 Beacon a/k/a XV Beacon is very nice), or Harvard Square in Cambridge. There are several hotels there, tons of restaurants, a few bookstores, and a subway line.

One idea which is probably obvious is that hotel bars are often less raucous and a bit quieter, more classy. Of course, some of them are more lively than others.

If you want to feel social without being at a bar or restaurant, you can also go to an evening event -- a book reading event, concert, event at the Museum of Fine Arts all come to mind. The Harvard Book Store (an independent bookstore, not part of the university) has tons of events, nearly every day.

I think taxis are relatively cheap here. Because of Uber and Lyft, I feel some taxis have disappeared, though. Sometimes you have to find a taxi stand, and even then you may have to wait. Or get a taxi at a hotel (then you are expected to tip the doorman about $1). You could also download the Uber app into your phone.

If you give us an idea of your interests or food preferences, i am sure we will come up with lots of suggestions. Also, just read lots of posts on this board.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?

If you want lodging that is cheaper and two blocks from Boston Common, look at a private suite at Boston Hostel. It is across the street from Tufts Medical Station on the orange line. Perfectly situated.

Reply to: Female travelling solo to Boston. Any tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted