We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

This is a trip report of mine and hubby's very short trip to Boston. We were there October 27-29 and had absolutely incredible weather and a great time! I wasn’t going to bother with a trip report but I’ll go ahead and share the few things we did.

Pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaaPDTb

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
662 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
560 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,088 Reviews
from US$41.95*
19 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

Our visit to Boston was sandwiched between leaving for a cruise to Bermuda. So we arrived the day before the cruise and stayed at the Aloft by the harbor on points gifted to me from my boss. We got a great room with a view of the harbor and we saw our ship the next morning. The hotel had a little bar that we had drinks in after dinner. It was fine for one night.

I really wanted to do the Fenway Park tour on our arrival day and then go to the waterfront area for sunset and dinner. However, hubby is a craft beer drinker and really wanted to try a certain beer that a certain pizza place served. Since this was his ONLY request the whole vacation, and since he had scoured the internet trying to find it, I couldn’t say no. Plus we had not eaten all day and were hungry anyway. So once we checked in, we took a Lyft to a pizza place called Stoked in Brookline.

We took Lyft everywhere to get around the days we were on our own. Boston traffic is something like I have never really experienced. You have to be aggressive or you are not going to go anywhere. We heard a lot of honking. So yeah, it was interesting!

The pizza was good and hubby got his beer so he was happy. We asked our very nice waitress if there was anywhere we could walk to so she suggested the Chestnut Hill Reservoir where we could watch the sunset. This was a nice area with a small park and the weather was great so we enjoyed the walk. It got a little chilly though waiting for sunset so we bailed a little early and took another Lyft back to the hotel (how our driver ever made a left out of there, I have no idea) and went for a drink up on the third floor of Legal Harborside. It was really crowded with people who had probably just gotten off work on a Thursday night and we got like the last free table. We were tired after this so we just went back to the hotel and had a few drinks at our lobby bar.

The next morning was the cruise. We just ate at the hotel café (not great) and called Lyft and had quite the experience getting to the cruise port. One driver cancelled on us and I could see why. It was a complete mass of cars all trying to get there and at one point, our driver was blocking traffic trying to turn left (along with about 4 others) and an undercover cop got out and yelled at him and said he was sending him a ticket in the mail. Yikes.

Finally hubby said, dude drop off us off here and we will walk the rest of the way. Hubby gave him a big tip and our driver actually hugged him. I am sure he was glad to be rid of us.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

The cruise ended on Friday, 10/27 so we spent that weekend with my brother-in-law who lives in Somerville in Davis Square. He led us around everywhere and showed us how to use the subway (or “T”) which I have never done anywhere before. I got the hang of it but it was a little stressful and made me glad I don’t live in a city where I have to rely on it. Even though I live in a suburb of Dallas and have worked in the city for years, Boston made me feel like I live in the country.

Our day started with lunch and BIL suggested a Turkish restaurant in Davis Square called Istanbulu. I was a little wary of this but holy cow, everything was delicious and now I know I love Turkish food and am trying to find a good place here in Dallas. I gobbled up everything he ordered for us and then some.

On Friday, we visited MIT (BIL’s alma mater) and Tuft’s since it was nearby I guess. There was an observatory at Tuft’s where we could see the Boston skyline so that was cool. We then took the T to Boston Common to meet up with a friend of BIL’s. We walked through Boston Common and the Boston Public Garden a little and then walked to the restaurant for dinner. Our friend said we were walking through the “Emerald Necklace” and there were statues literally everywhere and I was sad we weren’t seeing it in the daytime.

Dinner was at a sushi restaurant called Uni in the Eliot Hotel and everything we had was fantastic. Normally when BIL comes to town, we go to Nobu in Dallas, and this place was as good or better and I think even actually a little less expensive than Nobu. We had a great time here.

On Saturday we took the T to Harvard Square and ate lunch at a place called The Russell House and it was yummy. We saw Harvard and then took the T back to Boston Common to start the Freedom Trail which was my must-do of the trip. We went to most of the attractions spending the most time at the Granbury cemetery. My favorite building was Old City Hall but I was sad to see it is now Ruth Chris and I couldn’t get a picture without their red umbrellas. I wished we had started earlier because we were going to end at the Old North Church and I wanted to make sure we had lots of time to spend there. We also stopped at Parker’s Bar in the Omni so that hubby could get Boston cream pie.

We used this guide that my husband had on his phone and he used the map to get us to each place. It was nice too because it told us a little about each site.

freetoursbyfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/…

Looking at my pictures of these sites just gives me chills. All of Boston was just so interesting and to live in a city with all this history must be amazing. I would see a beautiful building and go, “Oh, what is that?!” and it would be like a bank or something. It was all just so beautiful.

When we got to the North End, I immediately wished we had timed it so we could have had dinner there. But lines were already out the door at 5:00 p.m. It was such a cute area and reminded me of a similar area of San Francisco which I also loved when we visited there.

We made it to Old North Church with just seconds to spare to get in and look around. Of course this was a highlight and I am very glad to have gotten my picture of the Paul Revere statute with the church in the background!

We went back to Somerville for pizza—the one place BIL wanted to take us was full (Area Four) but we ended up at his second choice (Oath Pizza) and it was yummy.

The next day we headed home. I feel like this trip was a whirlwhind and of course, we didn’t scratch the surface of Boston but I really loved it and would come back in a heartbeat. Our cruise was great too so we may be back and then I can finally see Fenway! Thanks for reading and hope someone finds something that might help them in planning their own visit to this great city.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

In my pictures, you might notice the T-shirt my husband is wearing. On the cruise, we had a meet and greet and gift exchange and I got this T-shirt which celebrated the 100-year anniversary of "Fluff." Which we had no idea what that was! It was cute and hubby wore it proudly off the ship and in Boston on that day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

Fantastic report!!!! When are you coming back for a longer stay?

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

Thanks for such a great report. You definitely have to return. Love the tee shirt story. There is a Fluff festival in Somerville every year--ask your BIL.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

Sounds like a great trip. What beer was he searching for?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
30,837 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

Excellent TR glad you had a great time in Boston which is my home i do miss it have not been home in 3 years since i moved to Dallas, You navigated the city very well and your pictures are just beautiful glad you had a good cruise and a excellent time in Boston thanks for sharing your TR.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

@ting - BIL didn't know what it was either! :) He is from Texas but made Boston home after graduating from MIT.

@tchoiniere - It was a Foolproof IPA I think. Long story short--my daughter got him a Foolproof T-shirt which he really likes but he says he can't wear the shirt if he hasn't had the beer! :)

@Oldiesguy - As soon as we got to Somerville, I could see why my brother-in-law never came back to Texas. It is just so cool in every way, and nothing like here. Dallas has some things going for it, but it doesn't have that wonderful history--I loved seeing all the old buildings and imagined all the stories each one could tell!

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

What a great report and I love your photos! You guys are super cute. Thanks for all the compliments about our city. We love it too.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston

I loved reading your report. Your pictures are terrific, too, and help me remember the lovely weather we had just a short time ago. Thanks very much for posting! And, I liked your Bermuda report and photos as well.

Reply to: Trip Report of our too short weekend in Boston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted