We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
785 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

We are going to be in Boston in just over a week, but staying in Plymouth. If enough places are open on Easter Sunday then we will probably visit Boston that day, since (I hope) the city will be less congested on a holiday and a weekend. We are also planning on coming up to Boston later in the week, on Thursday, to see a Red Sox game. I know that on Thursday, based on advice from folks on this board, we will definitely be taking the T in to the game. My question is, should we take the T in on Easter Sunday too, as sort of a practice run, since we have only used a subway once before and don't know the ropes all that well, or would it be okay, being a holiday and a weekend, to drive in and park? Someone told me that parking is free on Sundays. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Do not worry about the T. You do not need to take a test run. I would not take the subway on Easter since it will be running less frequently. If you plan on driving to Braintree and then hopping on the red line, it is very doable. You'll simply go to Park Streeet and follow the signs to the green line outbound and head to Kenmore Square. Employees or passengers will direct you - just ask.

I would take advantage and drive in to the city on Easter Sunday. It will be a quieter day and you'd be more likely to find a spot (meters are not in effect on Sundays). Worst case would be you could park in a garage. On the weekends the rates are flat fees (i.e. Boston Common Garage $10 all day).

Mentioned in this post
Braintree
Braintree
Massachusetts
Kenmore Square
Kenmore Square
20 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Hi Sultana,

I second everything Mahj said. In addition, go to www.mbta.com for everything you need to know about public transportation in Boston. Take a close look at the subway map. It's pretty easy to navigate with one of those. You can get off at either the Fenway stop, or the Kenmore stop. Just follow the crowd--they're all going to the game. Much has been written in these forums on "Charlie Cards" and "Charlie Tickets." When you get to a subway station, go to a kiosk and get a paper ticket with a stored value on it. It's good for buses as well, if need be. Like Mahj said, don't be intimidated. There are plenty of T employees to help out. Have fun.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Thanks, guys. Being from the upper Midwest, subways aren't our strong point (think auto industry--EVERYONE drives everywhere!), and I'm afraid what little knowledge I do have comes from stereotypical portrayals of surly, unhelpful subway employees (when you can get one to talk to you) a la "Mad About You" and "Seinfeld", lol. Obviously, it isn't like that everywhere, maybe even anywhere except for inside the heads of Hollywood sitcom writers, but it has left a lasting impression, unfortunately. However, I know from reading this forum that Boston, and the entire area for that matter, gets tons of tourists, so I'm sure that the T employees will be used to folks like us asking for help. You guys have made me feel much better about riding the T. Thanks for the advice.

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

While it will be quieter on Sunday, driving in Boston can be an adventure. Make sure you have good, recent maps and ask for directions at your hotel. If you get in early enough, you can probably find street parking (watch out for those resident only spots though - they are 24/7), which would be free. Otherwise, as someone else said, the Common Garage is a deal at $10 on the weekend. The garages near the Aquarium/Quincy Market are still expensive on the weekends.

Most everything will be open that day and it is a big day for families to go out to brunch, etc. Expect lots of families at the Swan Boats too.

Mentioned in this post
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,838 Reviews
Boston, MA
Swan Boats
Swan Boats
227 Reviews
Boston, MA
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Thanks. I do have some maps that I just purchased at Barnes and Noble, so hopefully they're fairly current. If we can find the Boston Commons garage then $10 would be fine and apparently a great bargain compared to parking during the week.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Coming from Plymouth, to get to the Boston Common parking garage:

Exit 20 (South Station/Chinatown/Financial District) Take a left at the bottom of the ramp (there is a light before the end of the ramp, go straight through that, then left at next light).

Go straight through 4 sets of lights. Stay in the right lane and turn right at the 5th light - Bennigan's will be on your right. Go straight through the next light (PF Chang's on your right). The entrance to the garage is on your right hand side just after the light. You'll see at big Garage Entrance sing above the ramp down into the garage.

Make a note of where in the garage you park, as it can be confusing.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Chinatown
Chinatown
299 Reviews
Boston, MA
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Diva21,

You have no idea how much I appreciate these directions! I was actually just getting online to try to map out these exact same directions and now I don't have to. Thanks so very, very much!!

Providence
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Have a great trip. IF easter, drive in. You'll find a spot somewhere. Since it's a holiday, you won't get a ticket unless you park in front of a hydrant somewhere.

If during the week, plan on driving in and then taking the T around. Another alternative is to take the commuter rail. But doesn't run late and you risk having to leave the Sox game early.

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Remember which elevator/stairs you used too when you head out of the garage! Once you are outside, you can get your bearings by looking for the gold dome of the Statehouse. Take a good Boston walking map with you too - most hotels have them if you don't want to buy one. There is a tourist info center on the Common but I am not sure if it will be open that day.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Take a Trial Run on the T or Drive In?

Thanks again to all of you for the help and advice. If everyone in Boston is as helpful as the people on this forum then we have nothing to worry about. : > )