We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

Birr, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

Hello,

We will be flying into Boston on the 25th December and leaving on the 29th. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice regarding things to do, shows to see. Also, any daytrips people would recommend. Is a day trip to Nasoba worth it? The kids are 7 and 5.

Many thanks in advance

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
666 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
563 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,091 Reviews
from US$41.95*
11 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

The winter market cityhallplazaboston.com/holiday-market/

Skating on frog pond

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

Nashoba just opened a few trails this weekend for skiing and haven't yet opened any tubing trails - you'll have to keep an eye on their web site:

https:/…hours-address

Does your family ski? You'd have to rent a car for the day to get to/from Nashoba, rent skiis and pay for passes for the day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

The American Repertory Theater in Harvard Square is playing Charlotte's Web. I've been to several family-oriented shows there and they do an amazing job. You should still be able to find tickets to a weekday performance. After the show there are lots of places to hang out or get a bite to eat in the area.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

Maybe a day trip to Lowell and its National Historic Park on the Industrial Revolution? https:/…hours.htm Many immigrants worked in the Mills. Take the train to Lowell from North Station.

I'm not positive, but would guess you can get an Uber/Lyft to the site - otherwise it's a walk - but that could be cold in December, so check on transportation. The kids might like the train ride and the Mill where children their age worked.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

MOS is a must. Lots of exhibits for that age.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

I reccomend walking the Freedom trail, which includes Fannuel Hall along with the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown. Additionally, their Museum of Science was amazing when I went on a 5th grade field trip (I'm from Portland, ME) and the China Town in Boston is so VIBRANT. Certainly one of the most colorful China Towns located in large US cities. Finally, a day in Cambridge rounds out the sight-seeing quite well. Harvard is located just off the T stop and I an amazingly beautiful historical campus that provides access to a field and adjoining river.

Edited: 22 December 2017, 16:45
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

Speaking of the Freedom Trail, try to go when the Old North Church is actually open. It's really worth it. I believe there is a crypt down below, too, although I've never been in that. But this church is so historic, so beautiful, and connects to Paul Revere, and the midnight ride. It isn't that far from here to the pastry shops on Hanover Street.

If you wanted to continue the Revolutionary theme (which is easy in Boston), you could go to Harvard Square in Cambridge. Not only do you have Harvard University, but there is a Revolutionary War bullet hole visible in the Episcopal Church that is just a tiny distance away from the subway, the gray wood church facing the Cambridge Common. Also very close to that church, but on Massachusetts Avenue, there are bronze or brass inserts in the sidewalk that talk about that same midnight ride (hint: Paul Revere was only one of the riders).

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

I assume you have already planned the 25th. The Children's Musem may be a good time for them. They will also enjoy the New England Aquarium which is somewhat pricey. If you are staying with family or friends, they may be able to get you passes to either at a Public Library. Just walking around City Hall and Faneuil Hall Marketplace can be fun too. If you are staying in the burbs, north of Boston, try the Acton Children's Discovery Museum. Be sure to pack longjohns or fleece lined pants or ski pants.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

"I reccomend walking the Freedom trail,"

Kids that are 7 and 5 years of age wouldn't be that interested in that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations

i disagree.

I wouldn't drag the children on the whole trail, but the Freedom Trail sites are child-friendly. Go to the Old South Meetinghouse and the Paul Revere House. After all, he had 16 children. Stop by the National Park Service Visitor Center at Faneuil Hall. Check out some of their resources like the junior park ranger booklet: https:/…W.pdf

Pick up a copy of a children's book on the Revolution, or on Paul Revere's Ride.

The Constitution Museum is very interactive and child-friendly as well.

Reply to: Visiting Boston for Christmas with Kids. Any recomendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted