We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

Hi,

For all those who have asked about the best way to get Red Sox tickets, I have, in the past, recommended the scalper option on the day of the game. Traditionally, it's been the easiest way to get seats last minute for a game.

However, this season, the Boston Police have decided to suddenly enforce the laws of the Commonwealth, and have been arresting scalpers left and right.

So, my usual advice has changed. If you want to come to Boston for a Red Sox game, your best bet is to have tickets in hand when you arrive, or you run the risk of being disappointed.

MA Woods
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

Thanks Beantown Man!

We have never bought tickets from scalpers but also take our son to at least 1 game a year. Two years ago and this year I was able to obtain tickets directly from Red Sox Nation for a price of $12/seat.

Last year I couldn't get through on the first day of ticket sales and had to purchase tickets from a reputable broker. Because I had a hard time obtaining tickets last year, I bought tickets for a June game this year from the same broker. I think that I paid about $125 per ticket for seats in the lower bleachers.

Low and behold! On the day that official Sox tickets went on sale to the general public, I was able to purchase 3 seats for 2 games at a price of $12/ticket. I called my broker, told him the truth and although I couldn't get a refund, I was able to obtain a store credit .

Guess what? The store credit paid for our annual Patriots tickets.

The message that I am trying to impart is:

1. Buy your tickets legitimately on the first day of sale to the general public.

OR

2. Use a reputable broker. They sell premium tickets at premium prices.

3. Please don't ever buy tickets from a scalper. You don't know if you're getting a real ticket and it's just not right! Does the scalper declare his income and file a tax return??

We work hard for our money. We pay our taxes. We don't engage in illegal activities. I am glad that the Boston PD is arresting scalpers. There are rules and laws governing the resale of tickets. The scalpers either need to follow thesse laws or be arrested!

Hope that I've helped and I'm really not that conservative; just looking for a level playing field.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

Also, from today's Boston Globe:

"Charles Cellucci, director of security and emergency services for the Red Sox, said any season ticket holder caught reselling their tickets to turn a profit could have their tickets revoked. "This is a work in progress," Cellucci said. "The main goal is to keep tickets out of the hands of scalpers and in the hands of regular fans."

The Red Sox have talked tough in the past, but the team has rarely revoked the seats of season ticket holders. The Sox have always paid for a Boston Police detail at Red Sox games, but that detail has shown little interest in recent years in enforcing the state's antiscalping law, which requires people in the business of reselling tickets to be licensed by the state and to charge no more than $2 above face value plus service and business expenses."

Arizona
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

You would think it would be so easy to nail season ticket holders who scalp tickets. Just buy some off ebay or stubhub, and then when you get the tickets, just revoke them. I bet they wouldn't have to do this more than a few times before word got around.

I guess the problem might be that if a season ticket holder sells his tickets legitimately to a friend for face value and then the friend resells them, it wouldn't really be fair. But then the answer is to know your friends.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

They have been doing that with non-season ticket holders for a couple of years....sometimes they don't even have to buy the tickets, the people post all the seat info right in their e-bay ad.

They then get a letter saying all of their purchases have been canceled, their money refunded, and then put the seats up for re-selling.

What the Sox are really trying to do, is drive the demand to their own "replay sight" where season ticket holders can resell (for face value) their tickets......one slight problem....The Red Sox charge a service charge and a membership charge to use the replay sight....this management team will try and make a buck, whenever they see other people making a buck.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

So the brokers can sell a $27 ticket for $64, but a season ticket holder is being nailed for any sale that's $2 more than face value?

I don't get it...

6. Re: Some Updated Red Sox Ticket Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:17