We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
313 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Hi

Though we have visited Boston many times while our daughter attended Boston College, and explored many yummy north end places we tended to go back to our best discoveries. We are now planning a celebration dinner the night prior to her graduation with a group of 16....a little tougher to choose a place especially in the North end

Any suggestions?? We have been told about Massiminos near the North end /Old Fleet Center since it has "family " dining. The online menu looks perfect but any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I am looking at a Sunday late afternoon timeframe in May!

Thanks in advance

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

My favorite place is the Chart House on the Harbor. This is Boston's oldest dock building and once housed John Hancock's offices. Maggianno's Little Italy, while also a chain, is very adept at handling larger groups. It's located in Park Square, near the Park Plaza Hotel . Anythony's Pier 4 is an old Boston institution that handles groups of all sizes and really has impressive views of the harbor. All these restaurants take reservations and can handle large groups

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
313 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Alanm..Thank you so much for your prompt reply!!!

We also love the Chart House...spending many a weekend at the Long Wharf Marriott doing the Boston museums once a year with the kids when they were younger. mmMM Mud Pie!! Do you think they can accomodate 16 easily??

Also love Anthony's...and without a doubt the most beautiful views in all of Boston. We actually had dinner there for parents weekend this past October. Since our little BC darling plans to attend 5 th year BC grad school and i have another in college, i am trying not to spend a furtune for this meal...which i am sure will be the case with Anthony's. For 16, I cannot imagine getting out of there for much under $1000! And i am already paying for 3 hotel rooms!

However i do appreciate your reply and i will revisit this with my husband! Thanks again

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Hi,

In the North End, I'd recommend Mamma Maria. They are set up with private dining rooms, which would be perfect for you. The food is also some of the best in the North End.

http://www.mammamaria.com

For a slightly less expensive place, you might call La Summa. I believe that they had a private dining area in the restaurant, from what I remember. It's very good, a board favorite.

http://boston.citysearch.com/review/4726044

One other idea is Joe Tecce's, which is a North End institution. It's a large place, with lots of private dining areas and they do a very big function business:

http://joetecces.com/

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
313 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

thanks for the ideas. I am checking the websites that you provided. It would be very nice to have a private room for such an occasion!

thanks again

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

The Chart House takes reservations and if I remember correctly, their top floor has room for a group about that size. It's kind of neat - it's open yet private. You can call and ask that, anyway.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Maggiano`s Little Italy is a terrific option. I`ve dined there on several occasions with groups of about 20 people and they are pros at this sort of thing. We`ve always had one of the smaller dining rooms too, which gives some degree of privacy at no extra charge. It is, indeed, a chain restaurant, but they`ve spared no expense in recreating the beautiful ambiance and charm of an old world Italian restaurant and the genial fun of a family gathering. Go to maggianos.com and check out the family dining menu option. This is a great value at about $30 per person. You pre-select a 5 course dinner (when making your reservation) from an extensive menu (on the website). You choose 2 items for each course which includes appetizers, salads, pastas, entrees and desserts. Everything is served family style in unlimited amounts. The food is very good and this is a great place for a celebration.

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
313 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

i see Maggianos is near the Common and i have looked at their website. I appreciate your input on the "chain" aspect of the restaurant since i did wonder if it leaned more toward Bertucci's which i would not really consider a special occcasion meal. Is there a parking garage nearby as we are meeting two other parties who are coming in from out of town and the T isn't feasible for them?

As expected , the second I mentioned Anthony's, my husband said why in the world wouldn't we go there?

I do appreciate all the suggestions and think i will call these two possibilities and Momma Maria' s and see what arrrangements can be made for our party within the time frame we are working with.

Momma Marias menu looked great!

Thanks again. I realize after reading more of the posts in this history that posters are reluctant to recommend restaurants and i really understand that...especially Italian Food...I myself have recommended a few of my favorite local spots that didn't meet the expectations of my friends. oh well !

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

At Maggiano`s there is a parking garage within the same building. I think you enter from the Stuart Street side, although it would be wise to call the restautant to verify. The decor is very nice and I would consider it to be a great place for a special, important (albeit somewhat casual) occasion

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Also check Laurel (laurelgrillandbar.com) at 142 Berkeley Street. Casually elegant, and a great, varied menu at reasonable prices. You can see their dinner menu at the website. I have seen large parties in the main room, but they also have a private room.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: College Graduation dinner Ideas -beantownman?

Definitly agree with maggianos