We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Advice Please!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Advice Please!

I am trying to book a trip for 4 female friends, July 26th to 29th. I've looked at numerous options for hotels, and have it narrowed down to two:

1. Embassy Suites at Logan Airport. I can get a suite for 229/night (nonrefundable). Pluses - free transport to/from airport, nearby T station, free breakfast. Reviews indicate it is an easy trip into Boston, via the T.

2. Courtyard South Boston. I can get a king suite for 169/night (refundable). It says it sleeps a maximum of 5, which I assume would be king bed, sofa bed, and available rollaway, nearby T station. Reviews also indicate this one is an easy trip to dowtown Boston via the T. Also has free transport to/from the airport.

I've chosen those two due to size of the rooms, rate, plus can get two queen beds in the room (versus 2 double beds at a lot of the other choices I looked at).

We plan to hit the typical tourist stops - Freedom Trail, Duck Tour, Boston Common, Faneuil Hall, etc.

Which would you recommend? Or is there some where else I should consider?

Thanks for any advice!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Hi Abby,

Of the two you mentioned I would go with the Courtyard South Boston. Staying at the airport doesn't really give you much of a feel of the city. That being said, the Courtyard South Boston is in an industrial section of South Boston (as opposed to the residential sections I'm sure you've seen in movies like "Good Will Hunting" and "The Departed"). There's a nearby T station (Red Line) at Andrew Square that will get you downtown in a few stops. I've indicated in this forum before that I'm not crazy about the area in and around Andrew Square. During the day, you're fine, but at night it's a bit sketchy. Do yourself a favor and take a taxi home from a night out. With four girls the fare can easily be split into a very affordable price. Be safe and always stay together!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

I agree with Healey and would even take a step further. If you can stay in the Downtown area, I would highly recommend it. Boston is truly a walking city and if you be somewhere there in the mix, I would shoot for it. This might break the bank, so I do understand, but hotels that might be able to do this are the Marriott Custom House and Parker House. They both have suites that might fit the bill. Worth a check anyway.

Iowa
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Thanks Healey and Alan. I've checked both Parker House and Marriott Custom House, and they are out of our price range. I'm trying to be conscious of everyone in the group's budget, and I've looked at a lot of different places. My first preference is definitely to stay in the Downtown area, but I am struggling to find someplace that will accomodate our group in one room. I guess I'll do some more looking! I've been checking TravelZoo, hoping a deal will come up, but so far, no luck.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback! I've used Trip Advisor in the past for vacations in New York and Chicago, and it is just a fantastic resource.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Check the Constitution Inn out to see what you think. I've seen it for 109 to 210 a nite. The water shuttle to get in to downtown Boston is literally within walking distance from this Inn. They might have what you're looking for. Read all the reviews on it here. They have kitchenette's in the room, a fitness facility and all that. The Navy Yard Bistro is wonderful and it's right there as well as the Freedom Trail is right outside the door here. It's a great time of year to be near the waterfront and also? You can't beat the rates here with a stick!

Iowa
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Thanks NoMo01! I'd looked at that one already...just checked again, and I can get a room with two doubles for $189. I like the rate! I was really hoping to get two queens, 'cuz I'm concerned about sleeping well in a double with another person. I like my space! But the hotel looks great, and the location sounds fantastic.

I'll have to check with my travleing companions.

Thanks again!

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Did you check the Doubletree Suites? See www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml…

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

I'd rather stay at the Double Tree in Dorchester than at the Courtyard in South Boston. I don't consider that South Boston. It's very industrial and while both Andrew and JFK UMass stations have an urban feel to them ... neither is downtown, I'd feel more comfortable at the Doubletree.

Have you checked out the Midtown or will Priceline give you a deal at another hotel? Embassy Suites is far-flung but I think these other places are just as far flung but in a different direction. Embassy Suites is a nicer hotel and while that area is desolate, Andrew Station and JFK UMass are a little rough... just a little bit... but still... If I had to vote for one of these two, I'd pick the Doubletree...

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Charlestown would be good if you can get that rate...

Iowa
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Thanks to all who gave me advice. I ended up with none of the above! Hee. I decided to try bidding on Priceline, and got The Millenium Bostonian Hotel for $110/night. Wasn't expecting to get a room at that bid, so I panicked a bit temporarily! I know Priceline hotels only guarantee sleeping space for 2, but I've been in contact with the hotel, and they indicated they will try to give us a room with two beds, and if not, they will provide a rollaway.

Kind of goes counter to what I've said previously, since I was looking for two queen beds, but can't beat the price. For that kind of savings, I'll deal with the sleeping arrangements!

I've read the reviews here and they are mixed for the hotel, but the location sounds fantastic, and it's hard to complain, with the price being 1/2 of what I thought we'd end up spending.

Thanks again for all the advice and help - even if I ended up not listening (except for the part about staying downtown it at all possible - got that at least!). ;-)

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Advice Please!

Good morning AbbyCat4,

WOW that IS a good price! They're going to be renovating the Millenium Bostonian, big time (from top to bottom soon) may be that's why you got it for that price? I don't know, If they haven't started it already they will be soon enough. It evidently needs it from what the reviewers on T.A . have been saying about it these days.

I just reread the reviews on this hotel and they seem to be okay lately and besides for that type of $$$ who cares!! You're never in your room any way! It certainly is in a really great location for SO many sites and attractions! Look for Bertucci's or Houston's in the Quincy Market area which is right across the street from this hotel. There's tons of choices literally all right there, not to mention the North End which is directly across the street from this Hotel. It's actually easier to cross over to the North End for Hanover St & North Square due to all the new construction they've finished up through there.

Have a wonderful time, you guys will be VERY busy, it'll be here before you know it!