We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Plymouth drive?

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
46 posts
53 reviews
Boston to Plymouth drive?

Hello! We will be driving from Boston to Plymouth plantation on Sat, Sept 29. The Google map suggested we drive on highway 3 to get there. But I was wondering if the drive on route-3A, along the coast, is worth, what I'm assuming, a longer drive? What I mean about 'worth', is it a scenic, beautiful drive with cool towns in between? If it is 'worth' it, would you happen to know about how much longer it would take to take 3A as opposed to 3? Any tips, must sees, delicious or fun restaurants(any kind of food),etc? I can't wait to read what you have to say! Thanks!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
671 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
582 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,101 Reviews
from US$44.05*
26 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

3A is not that scenic up to Hingham. Lots of shops and traffic lights. Then it gets a bit nicer along Scituate and Marshfield, etc, along the coast, although you usually can't see the water you're at least in a wealthy area.

I'd expect an extra 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

Agree with N-T. You can use Google maps - get to the "street view" starting with Route 3A in Hingham and drive it via the street view map to see if you feel it's worth the extra time. It's been a while since I've been on that section of 3A, but it's definitely slower with many intersections and traffic lights.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
46 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

Wow! Thanks for the info northern traveler. You made it easy for me to know what to do!

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
693 reviews
4. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

Glad to help. I did it the other way "just to see" a few years ago and wasn't thrilled with my choice!

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

To see the cool towns south of Boston, hug the coastline. starting in Hingham by taking Rt. 228 off of Rt 3 through Hingham (many Colonial homes) out to Hull (Nantastic Beach) then take Jurusalem Road to Atlantic (nice ocean views) through Cohasset to Scituate

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
283 reviews
6. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

I drive 3A every day and I would say it's definitely not worth it. There are barely any water views between Hingham and Kingston. There's a little piece of the harbor in Hingham, a marsh view on the Scituate/Marshfield border and a tiny bit in Plymouth. You'd have to go along Jerusalum road as Kelstre says to get a beautiful coastal drive in Cohasset.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
133 reviews
7. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

RT 3A is a trafficky mess for much of that. Don;t do it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
1 review
8. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

Someone from Utah might find it mildly interesting but that's a stretch.

And even if you did, I'd guess it would be much less so than the Plymouth area and beyond so the extra time it would take to drive 3a would be better spent further along.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
133 reviews
9. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

It offers a panorama of every supermarket and CVS on the South Shore. There are about 2 minutes of actual scenery. It is a road one uses to get where you are going locally, ie, to the Ace Hardware store or whatever. I grew up driving Rt 3A, still drive it regularly to see my folks in Scituate, and can't fathom why anyone would drive there voluntarily.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
46 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: Boston to Plymouth drive?

Lol Cambridgetravlr!! And thanks everyone for your input!! It has been extremely helpful!

Reply to: Boston to Plymouth drive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted