We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franklin Park Zoo & Jack o’ lantern journey

London, United...
12 posts
Franklin Park Zoo & Jack o’ lantern journey

Hi, we will be visiting Franklin Park Zoo around Halloween and I’ve seen the jack o’ lantern journey advertised and it looks great. Is this suitable for young children if we go at the first time slot? In terms of being busy and waiting around. Apologies if this is a brand new thing but wasn’t sure if it would be a nightmare with young children and be too busy? We were thinking of going just after Halloween too in hope it wouldn’t be as busy.

We will be visiting the zoo during the day, say from just before lunch until closing 4pm. If we did go, depending on answers really, if we have to leave the Park for an hour is there anything to do around the local area near the zoo, or any nice dinner places people can recommend that aren’t far?

Also, we will be using public transport, we are staying central back bay. Can anyone recommend the best way to travel with young children (18 months and 4 years) bus, train or maybe an uber instead?

Thanks in advance

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
675 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
585 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,102 Reviews
from US$44.05*
3 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
1. Re: Franklin Park Zoo & Jack o’ lantern journey

The event is Halloween oriented but not scary. Entirely suited for children.

Here are the directions for getting there by public transport: zoonewengland.org/franklin-park-zoo/hours,-i…

You could take the Orange Line to Forest Hills, and take an uber from there. It wouldn't be too far.

I would plan meals before or after visiting the zoo. You may see enough of the exhibits on the night of the lantern journey so you don't have to make a return visit. It is a small zoo, but be sure not to miss the gorillas in the tropical forest. At night, you even have a chance to hear the lions roar--something they don't do usually during the day. The Zoo does a good job with their evening events and there are always lots of staff and volunteers around to answer questions.

The Dogwood across the street from Forest Hills Station is casual, serving appetizers, sandwiches, and pizza. It has good food. http://www.thedogwoodjp.com

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
2. Re: Franklin Park Zoo & Jack o’ lantern journey

You can take the orange line subway from Back Bay to Green Street and from there take an Uber (if Uber probably better to get off at Stony Brook rather than Green). It is a walkable distance from Green St to the zoo but rather a long walk for young ones, over a mile (head east on Green, continue across Washington St on Glen Road which goes right into the park on a lovely grass walkway.) I can’t speak to the zoo programming although it certainly sounds like something good for young children. I shouldn’t expect it to be offered in November; any Halloween-themed event like that is likely to be finished on 31 October; after that it’s back to normal. Franklin Park zoo isn’t the busiest of places so should not be a mob scene on or before Halloween. I don’t know if the zoo has a cafe or restaurant service within it. Just outside the zoo is the Franklin Park golf course clubhouse which does serve light refreshments. The neighborhood adjacent to the zoo is poor, drab and not recommended for family excursions on foot. You could walk back out of the park to the west down Glen Road to Washington where you’ll find Doyle’s Cafe at the corner of Williams St. Doyle’s is an old-fashioned saloon-restaurant with plain American fare in a fun, local, untouristy atmosphere. This would be a significant walk so perhaps Uber/taxi is better. Otherwise there are restaurants along Centre Street in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood; maybe pick one out in advance and have the Uber deliver you there. Centre Street has two business clusters, one with some Latin American restaurants in the Hyde Square section and another farther down between Pond and South streets. That stretch has the JP LIcks ice cream shop, deservedly popular. If you go to Centre Street you can return to Back bay either on the subway from Green or Stony Brook or just take the Number 39 bus along Centre Street / South Huntington Ave into Back Bay (you’ll see a lot more that way.)

London, United...
12 posts
3. Re: Franklin Park Zoo & Jack o’ lantern journey

Thank you both for your advice it’s really appreciated. The dogwood and Doyle’s both look good so will probably get some food at either one of those then.

We will probably go for subway there and bus back. Thanks for the directions, makes it much easier to work out with some local knowledge!

Also, does anyone know if Uber’s can be requested to have car seats in Boston? Or if taxi’s allow children with out car seats? As they’re exempt in licensed taxi’s in England, UK. I just wondered if it was the same in Boston? I’ve been trying to research and keep finding conflicting information.

Reply to: Franklin Park Zoo & Jack o’ lantern journey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted