We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem for Halloween

Donny
2 posts
Salem for Halloween

Hi All. My partner and I along with our 2 15 year olds will be in Boston on Halloween. I was hoping to get the train up to Salem and spending the day there. Will it be stupidly busy on Halloween and is a day too much. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
675 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,102 Reviews
from US$44.05*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
585 Reviews
from US$55.65*
9 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: Salem for Halloween

It will be both stupid and busy. And stupidly busy.

You will get the feeling any time a few days earlier without it being packed with celebrators.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Salem for Halloween

It's a disaster on haloween - very rowdy - not family friendly.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
183 reviews
3. Re: Salem for Halloween

I think the above advice is good. If you can go before Halloween, your family will have a more enjoyable day (but still expect crowds!). If you decide to go on Halloween, I'd suggest leaving before dark; the city works hard to minimize rowdy behavior, but it is more of an adult event than one for kids/teens.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
249 reviews
4. Re: Salem for Halloween

I have never been to Salem on Halloween, but I know of someone who was and said that it was people rushing all over town to get to all of the attractions. A madhouse.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Salem for Halloween

It's crazy. I drive through Salem everyday and on Halloween we just stay home so I don't lose my mind. It's crazy and not what I would consider family-friendly.

Donny
2 posts
6. Re: Salem for Halloween

Thank you everyone for your replies. It’s made our mind up we’ll go the day before or even on the Monday. We’re hoping to get the train there and back. Is this from North station?

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
693 reviews
7. Re: Salem for Halloween

It is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8. Re: Salem for Halloween

Hi

Read somewhere, you can get a boat there and the train back, is that correct?

Also I believe the celebrations start the first day of October, is that also correct.

Thanks

Marvin

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
183 reviews
9. Re: Salem for Halloween

Yes, you can travel to Salem via the Salem Ferry and the MBTA's commuter rail (Newburyport/Rockport line). You can use either one round-trip (small discount for round-trip on the ferry) or one of them to Salem and the other back to Boston. Your choice. Here are links to more information:

https:/…schedules-and-rates

https:/…timetable

And, yes, the official celebration is called Haunted Happenings and it takes place during the entire month of October. More information here:

https://www.hauntedhappenings.org/

Edited: 24 September 2018, 21:08
Reply to: Salem for Halloween
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted