We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is Logan airport from South Station?

Ledyard, Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how far is Logan airport from South Station?

I will be travelling into South Station with luggage via Amtrak....

2 questions:

How do I get to Logan airport from South Station using the subway?

How long does it take via Subway or bus?

Which is the easiest way?

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

You have to catch the Blue Line subway to Logan Airport Terminal. From there there is a regular free Shuttle that will take you to any of the terminals for your flight. I would say that it would take 20-30 minutes to go from the South Station to the airport terminal depending on rush hours. Suggest looking at the MTBA website for info on taking the subway from the South Station to the Airport.

Ledyard, Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

Thank you! I was searching the MTBA website and couldn't get an exact answer...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

You will have to take 3 different lines to get to Logan. At South Station you pick up the red line going inbound. Take this one stop to Downtown crossing. There you will pick up the orange line going towards State. Take this on stop to State and get off. Catch the Blue line outbound to the Airport. Airport is 3 stops. You get off and catch the free bus to your terminal!

Ledyard, Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

even better..thanks

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

Even more anally:

The Red Line train from South Station will say ALEWIFE on the front; the Orange line train should say OAK GROVE, and the

Blue Line train terminates at WONDERLAND (which is anything but)

Station signage is simple and each train will have a sign on the front end with its ultimate destination.

The Airport station, where you change to the shuttle bus, has been recently renovated to be more user friendly, especially for travelers with baggage.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

Since you didn't say when you will be here, there may be an option available that's better yet. The new Silver Line (actually a "glorified" bus service) is slated to be extended to Logan during "late spring." Once it's operating, you'll be able to go right to the airport from South Station.

In the meantime, the Red/Orange/Blue sequence is best for T travel. Due to the transfers involved, allow NO LESS than 30 minutes.

Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

There are buses from the terminal upstairs that go directly to Logan although a bit pricier than the MBTA. Also, the water shuttle runs from Rowe's wharf directly to the airport. By the time you travel up and down all the stairs in the mbta stops you could have walked back and forth to the water shuttle three times. Ask for Rowe's wharf directions once you get to the south station.

Water shuttle or taxi is the way to go if you have more than 1 piece of luggage.

Ledyard, Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

I will be doing this in August--I did hear about the silver line...That would be GREAT! But, what are the chances of that happening on time--think BIGDIG...:(

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how far is Logan airport from South Station?

Bookmark mbta.com for Silver Line updates. I actually have faith that the airport extension could be running by August. Since it really is only a bus route, I can't see much more needing to be done than lane painting in the Ted Williams Tunnel and some signs and shelters on the Logan side.