We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,504 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

Thanks to everyone who has helped me fashion my trip. I've extended my stay until July 5th. Regarding the Concert/Fireworks show on the Esplanade, the website says that wristbands are given out starting in the morning of the 4th and that they "run out" in the late morning. My questions are:

1. Can I line up for a wristband early in the morning, get one, leave the Esplnade to see the other special attractions and then return later? If so,

a. What time should I line up?

b. What time should I return?

2. I assume I can bring a non-alcoholic picnic onto the Esplanade. Any recommendations for where I can get food for that picnic?

3. If I am not able to secure a bracelet, can I see the show/fireworks from anywhere else in Boston?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

Hi,

The wristbands are for security purposes, and for crowd control. They allow security to limit the number of people allowed in the central Esplanade area, closest to the Hatch Shell.

The Oval in front of the stage opens at 9am. Usually, people are lined up beginning as early as 4am in many cases. If you get there at 9am when it opens, the Oval will probably be mostly full, but you might still find a picnic area with a distant view of the Hatch Shell stage. If you arrive much past 10am, you probably won't get a bracelet, especially if the weather is nice. So, I'd probably plan to be there before 9am, if you want to get a bracelet and a spot.

As far as the rules, here they are:

http://www.july4th.org/esplanade.htm

As regards picnic items, be aware that on the holiday itself, many places will be closed. One place which is probably open, and might be a good idea is the Whole Foods Supermarket, at Charles River Plaza. It's right on the way to the Esplanade from your hotel, about two blocks from the park. You can get some nice entrees at the deli counter, prepared salads, etc. There's a CVS next door, which probably has coolers you can buy, to keep the food cold.

You should understand that you can see EITHER the concert, OR the Fireworks, but not both at the same time. The best seats for the concert are blocked by trees from seeing much of the fireworks. The best fireworks viewing is not near the Concert, although they usually have some JumboTron screens set up in the area so you can watch. The Concert is televised locally on Channel 4 and nationally on CBS I believe, so you could bring a hand held TV and watch from a good fireworks viewpoint (as many people do).

The best places to watch the fireworks are either on the Cambridge Side of the river, along Memorial Drive, or on one of the bridges on the Charles River.

My personal favorite spot is on the Longfellow bridge (Boston-bound side), because you get a direct view of the barge, with nothing to obstruct the view.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

I've done the "wait all day in the hot sun thing near the Hatch shell" for the concert and I've done the "wait all day in the hot sun on a boat thing" for the fireworks (you can't hear the concert.)

When weather is nice, unbelievable mob scenes and not so great public restroom accomodations, unless you enjoy wading over thousands of people each time you need to go.

Just be prepared. And bring sun screen. And wide brim hats.

There must be a better way to view these fireworks???

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

Hi Voyageruse,

Yes, there is. Show up at 9pm, walk up onto the bridge, watch the fireworks, and go home.

If you want, bring a radio or a small TV to watch the concert beforehand and have the music playing for the fireworks.

I haven't ever done the all day in the sun thing either...just isn't my thing.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

Beantownman,

The bridge at 9 sounds good, because there are no portapotties on that bridge that I recall and I wouldn't want to stand there all day.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,504 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

So, you can't get the bracelet in the morning, leave and come back later?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

Hi Hop,

Yes, you need to be in line early to get a bracelet. That will allow you to come and go as you want. HOWEVER, if you want to stake out a space on the lawn for your picnic, someone from your group needs to be sitting there at all times, or you will return to find your stuff moved.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,504 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

How early do I need to line up?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

The times were already posted in this string.

9. Re: Extending my Stay -- Don't want to miss the 4TH !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:20