We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from nyc to boston

Azusa, California
7 posts
Save Topic
driving from nyc to boston

hello. my first trip to the east coast from ca and i will be in nyc for 6 days and then driving to boston for 4. i need driving advice!! i would like to drive along the coast. feasible?? how long? what route? how much for toll roads? any help is much appreciated! thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from nyc to boston

Take Route 95 North the whole way. It takes you about as close to the coast as you're going to get. Takes about 3.5 hours, depending on traffic and what time you're driving. I believe the only toll is the one coming across the bridges from NYC.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
18 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from nyc to boston

If you drive up via Rte 95, you have to figure out how you want to drive into Boston itself. Rte 95 does a nice little dogleg west around Boston and will carry you on up all the way to Maine.

Changing from 95 to 93 North will take you up near the harbor and Logan Airport.

Alternatively, you can take 95 up to the Mass Pike (Rte 90) and then Rte 90 east toward Boston. Rte 90 is a toll road; you can use EZPass and probably some other national autopay systems.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from nyc to boston

After much debate and many trips, I've concluded that the quickest route from Manhattan to Boston is as follows: Rte 95 (New York Thruway) North into Connecticut to Rte 91 North to Rte 84 East to Mass Pike East into Boston. With little or no traffic you can make it in 3 and 1/2 hours going 70-80 mph. Tolls? Less than $10.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from nyc to boston

just so you know, deewhy... driving 70-80 mph is above the posted speed limits ;-)

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from nyc to boston

....but watch for the Connecticut Staties...they are on the job....

Azusa, California
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from nyc to boston

thanks to all. here are a few more questions.....if i take the 91 what cities are recommended stopping in. i have a 4 year old who will need a "driving break" every so often. i would also really love to see the Yale campus... is that possible or does it take me too far off the given path?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from nyc to boston

You'll only be on 91 for a very short while. 95, however, is another situation. While there are rest stops, there aren't many. Perhaps you might be better off taking the Parkways through Connecticit, where there are many rest stops.

Alan

new york, ny
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from nyc to boston

Honestly the drive “up the coast” is not really all that scenic – certainly nothing like Highway 1 in CA. You’re still on a major interstate and you can’t see much. If you want to see Yale you are better off taking 95 to 91 – New Haven is right at the intersection of the two. There really isn’t much along the way in terms of cities/towns you’d really want to see. You could stop in New Haven and maybe again in Hartford – there is a carousel in Bushnell Park that could be fun for your kids. It’s a few minutes off the highway. From Hartford to Boston there isn’t much, the Mass Pike mainly has big rest stops, but they would be fine for a short break to stretch the legs.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from nyc to boston

With a child, you may want to stay on 95 and stop in Mystic -- cool big ol' boats and an aquarium. For the most part the "coastal" route of 95 is not very scenic -- and has lots of traffic... it's the route that is the worst of your choices during rush hour (which, I'm guessing you could avoid).

I did this stop with my boys, one who was 4 or 5 at the time, and it was a perfect break.

Now, if you happen to be on Long Island, or can go that way, there's a ferry from the tip of Long Island (Orient Point, I think) that shoots over to New London. So you drive -- and way out on the tip of Long Island is really beautiful and rural -- then drive onto a huge boat (how cool is that for a kid), and have time to run around the ship and get a break from travelling -- while you're still travelling.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from nyc to boston

I agree with the previous posters - the drive from NYC to Boston is not a scenic coastal affair and there really aren't very many nice stops along the way. I also strongly advise against taking this trip on a Friday as traffic is horrendous and will add hours to your trip.

If you do want a scenic alternative to BORING Rte. 95, take the Merrit Parkway. There are no big trucks and it's a nice winding ride through beautiful New England countryside. It runs parallel to Rte. 95 and then intersects with Rte. 9 which you can take to the pike to continue on to Boston (or, alternatively, take Rte. 84 off of 91). The Merrit also has frequent service areas right on the highway which is handy when travelling with youngsters. You might also see some wildlife: http://www.merrittparkway.org/