We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Dress Code

I'm coming to in July, I'm 29 and want to enjoy the nightlife and get out to a few bars and clubs. Can somebody help me out with what the dress code is fo most of these places.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code

It's on the casual side, but many places enforce a no jeans/no sneakers rule. Khakis, a polo shirt, and loafers would be all you need at your average nightspot. Dressing more upscale would depend on your sensibilities and where you end up.

Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code

If you want to go to the night clubs, I would recommend in order...Ill Pannino, The Liquor Store, the Gypsy Bar, The Avalon, and embassy. I would not recomend Khakis and a polo shirt, just look nice, if you wear Khakis and a polo shirt in one of these night clubs, you will stick out like a sore thumb. Also Jeans are ok, just no sneakers, typical for a guy would be nice jeans, black shoes and nice shirt.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code

Agree that Boston is very casual, even khakis are a bit much in most places. Just stay away from sneakers and hats, and you'll be good to go. Also agree that Gypsy Bar on Boylston is a really fun place.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code

A lot of the Boston clubs do have a dress code of :No jeans, no shorts, no sneakers, no baseball hats - anything else is acceptable.

Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code

I have been to every night club in Boston, tell me one that will not let you in with Jeans? I must admit, the sneakers and hats are unaacceptable, however if you can name one night club that will not let somebody in with Jeans, I will apologize...I do not think so...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code

I'm pretty sure Venu doesn't let guys in wearing jeans, but I think this only applies on weekends. Generally speaking, most places will allow you entrance if you're wearing (dark) jeans, as long as the rest of your outfit looks nice, and you aren't wearing sneakers. I've definitely seen people get turned away because they were wearing sneakers.

Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code

http://www.venuboston.com/images/oscar-32.jpg

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code

Is that guy wearing jeans? Hard to tell from the photo. Again, it's my understanding that GUYS can't get into Venu wearing jeans on Friday and Saturday nights. I believe the same applies for Aria, and possibly Rumor. Obviously girls can wear whatever they want (aptly illustrated by the picture above). I would suggest calling ahead, just to make sure.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress Code

If you're a girl you can usually get away with a pair of nice jeans anywhere, however some clubs/bars in the financial and theatre districts can be a bit dressier. Those that are the most downtown tend to be the dressiest, while those that are a bit further from the city center can be more casual. If you're a girl, I'd pack a pair of nice jeans and a skirt and a couple of nice tops and those should get you in most anywhere worth going. If you're a guy, a pair of jeans and nice khakis/black pants are completely suitable. But more often than not, places around here are not very strict and when they are it is usually in relation to footwear (i.e. no workboots, tennis shoes, etc.). However, I've never encountered someone being turned away by their dress.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress Code

On another note, I would make sure to have backup in terms of identification, credit cards, etc. Some of the bars in the city are oddly strict when it comes to Passports and ID cards from other countries.