We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

Delaware
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

This June, our family will be traveling to Waltham to send our son to Bentley College. We also would like to combine this trip with seeing the sites in the Boston. I would like to know a suite type hotel that would be closest to the Boston sites but not too far from the direction to Bentley College.

Middlesex County, MA
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

The Hampton Inn and Suites, located in Cambrige would be a good location, close to Boston and Cambridge/Harvard, across the street from T-station (subway), easy to get to Route 2 to go to Waltham/Bentley College.

Museum of Science - 0.25 miles

Cambridgeside Galleria (shopping, restaurants, movie theatres) - 2 blocks

Downtown Boston - 2 miles

Fleet Center - 2 miles

Harvard University - 2 miles

Harvard Square - 2 miles

Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 2 miles

Copley Square/Newbury Street - 2 miles

Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall - 2 miles

Paul Revere House - 2 miles

New England Aquarium - 2.5 miles

Fenway Park - 3 miles

There are also a fair number of suites hotels located along Rte 128/I-95 in Waltham.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

Bentley runs a shuttle service to Harvard Square which you could probably talk your way onto. Stay in one of the suite hotels along 128 to avoid the insane parking rates (and higher room prices) in the city and ride to town for free!

The shuttle will drop you off right at the edge of the square, which has been heavily infiltrated by chain stores but still offers some eclectic shopping along with myriad dining possibilities. Any chess players would be bug-eyed at all the action that goes on at the game tables on the plaza in front of Au Bon Pain on Mass. Ave. You'd be minutes away from the Longfellow House and the other Brattle St mansions as well as Harvard Yard. Then when it's time to move along to Boston, you can board a Red Line train at Harvard Station.

If you're gung ho on staying closer into town, the Doubletree Suites in Allston are on Soldiers Field Rd just across a bridge from Route 2 (Memorial Dr.) That'd put you at least 10 minutes closer to Waltham than the Hampton Inn would. But compare prices before rendering your final verdict.

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

My personal recommendation, if you want to stay near your son, would be to just get lodging in Waltham. I've never stayed there, but the DoubleTree Suites on Winter street gets really good reviews here on TripAdvisor. This is a good location because its close to Bentley, and its really close to rt. 128. All you'd have to do then is hop on 128 north to rt 2 East for a few miles and park your car at the Alewife T-stop (cheap to park) and take the subway in to Boston from there. Saves you the headache of driving around the city. And the red line heading in is a good one to take because you can also stop and see the sights in Cambridge along the way (Harvard Square, Central Square, etc).

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

For another choice in suite-style hotels, the Hawthorn Suites on the Arlington/Cambridge border has only been open two years and gets unfailingly rave reviews. The parking hassle is eliminated, while convenience is not: the hotel is practically at the major intersection of Mass. Ave. and Alewife Brook Parkway. The latter connects with Route 2 west in "no time" and the drive to Bentley would be no more than fifteen minutes.

While the hotel's immediate surroundings are quiet (except when you're at the street), the restaurants and shopping of both East Arlington and North Cambridge are within an easy stroll in either direction along Mass. Ave. A short bus ride on "the 77" one way takes you to Porter and Harvard Squares, and the other way to Arlington Center and on to the Lexington line. A free transfer puts you on the bus that continues into historic (very) Lexington. "The 350" to and from Alewife Station also stops at the Hawthorn Suites, and runs to the huge Burlington Mall via Arlington Center.

If you do decide to stay in Waltham, be sure to take a drive or walk down Moody St. The "restaurant row" along there extends for blocks and offers an astounding variety of options: Indian, microbrewery, upscale Italian, Thai, Irish pub, American barbecue, Spanish "tapas," on and on! Lizzy's has stupendous ice cream for dessert. For decent grub at all hours, there's Bickford's on Main St near 128, and "if you must" a number of fast food chains are on Main between 128 and Moody St. Wilson's Diner at Main and Lyman is a perennial favorite of Bentley-ites for breakfast and lunch, btw, and for "a barrel of fun" a KFC is next door.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

I would ::personally:: recommend staying closer to Bentley and then driving to the Riverside station at the end of the green line (they have parking available at the stop) and taking the T in. I mention this because Boston is EXTREMELY unfriendly if you will have your car along, which I would imagine you would. The hotels themselves are MUCH cheaper and you will save yourself the $$ or hassle of finding a parking lot or the practically non-existent on-street parking. (Much of the parking in Boston proper is resident parking so it can be difficult, especially if the Sox are playing, to find a spot)

Once you are in the city, I think the Trolleys are a great (although admittedly very touristy) way to see the city since they take you around to all the major sites and allow you to hop on and off as many times as you want. Some even throw in a free harbor cruise or aquarium ticket when you take the trolley. As for attractions, there are SO many things to do I don't even know where to begin. But I am sure you will have a great time.

Delaware
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am thinking of staying in Cambridge since this seems to be a half way point between Waltham and the Boston attractions. We will be arriving by plane and do not have plans to rent a car during this stay. Our trip to Waltham will be only to take my son to Bently College and not to have frequent visits to the campus. Is this location a good pick with the access to Waltham around 15-20 minutes away, closeness to the Boston attractions and reduced hotel costs? Thanks again.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

You might try the Residence Inn Cambridge/Kendall Square. Its a block from the Kendall Square T stop (redline) also should be a reasonably priced cab ride from the airport. Not the most convenient for Waltham but not too bad. If you're not renting a car you don't have to worry about parking, but if you decide you want a car for a day or two you could pick up a rental either at one of the local hotel lobbies, or jump on the T to get back to the airport (if they have the best rates.)

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

How will you be getting to/from Bentley?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

If you can find a good rate in the area, that seems like a perfect compromise. With the T you are still quite close to the action. Not having a car will DEFINITELY eliminate a huge burden. I have one but prefer to keep it in my garage parking and take it out only when I absolutely have to. However I am curious as well about how you would get out to Bentley. I can't imagine a cab ride out that way would be affordable. It's bad enough to take one from the airport into the city. (As I think I mentioned before, I'm a huge fan of taking the T from the airport. It's fairly efficient and you can't beat the price - $1.25!)

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Bentley College combined with Boston

Because getting to Bentley will be a hassle without a car no matter where you stay (even Cambridge), I don't think you need to be so focused on staying at some midway point.

I do like the idea of the Residence Inn in Kendall Square though because you are very close to the city (you could actually walk across the bridge) and you are very close to the Kendall Square T stop on the red line. That way, if you want to hook up with your son, he just takes the Bentley shuttle to Harvard Square (also on red line) and you can hook up there (or he meets you at Kendall).

I still think you should rent a car, but thats my personal view. I don't like to ever be constrained by public transportation, especially in Boston where the T never seems to get you where you want to go.

Does that make me a bad person?