We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Provincetown

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Provincetown

I read in my guide book that you can get a 90 minute catamaran/ferry to Provincetown.

I was wondering if anyone has been on it and whether it is worth the money? Also, does anyone know if it is a particualary bumpy ride? Travelling with a potentially sea sick person!

Thanks

Katy, UK

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Provincetown

Hi,

Worth the money as opposed to what? Are you talking about as opposed to the "traditional" ferry?

If so, I'd say it's worth it, depending on what you want to do. If your goal is a nice boat ride, and you don't care about being in P-Town for too long, the traditional ferry gives you a 3-hour time period in P-Town and it's 3 hours each way on the boat.

The fast ferry leaves multiple times a day, so you can take the 7:30am ferry and the 7pm return, and spend a full day in P-Town. So in that respect, yes it's very worthwhile.

As for bumpy, GENERALLY it's not as bumpy as the regular ferry. However, if the water is really choppy, it can be a bit bumpy. It doesn't tend to rock as much, though. It rides along the top of the water, so it tends to jump up and slap down on the water sometimes. It's a slightly different motion.

Stop at a drugstore beforehand and pick up some Dramamine or Bonine and that should keep any seasickness at bay.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Provincetown

I've taken the ferry many times and it is usually very smooth. Of course it all depends upon the seas. It can be bumpy in very rough seas, but if you are traveling in summer or early fall, it's unlikely you'll encounter seriously bad weather.

It ride quality is important, I would recommend Boston Harbor Cruises over Bay State Cruises. Their boat is larger and more stable.

3. Re: Ferry to Provincetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 06:22