We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit?

Scotland
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit?

I'm planning to visit Boston in September is this a good time to visit and is what is the weather normally like then?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit?

Meteorologically speaking, September is a wonderful time to be in Boston. The early days tend to carry over summer's heat, but by the 10th or so the nights start to get cooler. During the latter 2/3 of the month we typically enjoy daytime temperatures in the 70's (F) and sometimes mid- to upper 60's. It can get a bit rainy at times, but nothing major.

For planning purposes it'd be best to look toward arriving after the 6th. The prior weekend is Labor Day weekend, one of the biggest Monday holidays in the States and also the biggest move-in day of the whole year here. Most apartment leases in the area begin on 9/1, and students will be moving into their college dorms around then too. It's called the "U-Haul Invasion," a traditional traffic nightmare going back decades. But after that, things start settling into their normal school-year din. So I hope you'll visit our town and enjoy it during that month.

Boston...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit?

I dunno... September can vary a lot. I have seen 45 degrees in the morning the week of Labor Day. That's also when the wind starts coming up. And September rain can be unpleasant. Then again, a clear warm September day is glorious. My thought would be to look carefully at the forecasts, pack accordingly, and carry at least one more layer.