We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

Hey,

Me and two friends are going to Boston for summer holiday 19 Aug to 24 Aug. We're all in our mid twenties and are looking for some stuff to do.

Pubs/Clubs - (well we are Irish) where to go mid week? Is the night life good during the week?

Music - Any good venues for music or concerts woth going to?

Sports - Would love to get a baseball game in but it looks like the Red Soxs are not playing. We fly in on Sunday so I think we'll miss that game. Are there any college / high school / local teams playing baseball/football/ice hockey??

Day time - Not really into site seeing so are there any day time activities? Tours etc...

Any ideas/suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Ed

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

There's a lot going on in Boston these days. You could take the train from Boston's North Station and head to either Salem for the day or Rockport, MA? That might be different for you, there's a lot to see & do in both places. You could think about renting a car and head down to Newport, Rhode Island or to Cape Cod? You could take a drive down to Providence, Rhode Island and check out the performance of WaterFire, there's a lot of neat restaurants and shops to explore there as well as various feasts in the City, I'm going myself in a few weeks, it's evidently every other weekend that they perform here, so just check this site:

www.waterfire.org

Also go to the various State Forums right on this T.A. site and you'll read about their events and attractions and what's going on with them.

Head to Canal Street near North Station for pubs and great spots for music, then stroll over to the Quincy Market from there, it's not far from here at all.

Go to the North End during the day and head to the Pizzeria Regina for a pizza, it's located on Thatcher Street.

There's the North End of Boston's Feasts going on this time of year. Here's their site, I think while you're here though? It's the St. Domenic Procession at 2PM only on July 22nd, no feasts going on until a week later when it's St. Joseph's feast, unfortunately.

www.bostonnorthend.com

I know there's a lot to do right in the City of Boston, especially this time of year, it'll be great for you! Check out the Boston Harbor Cruises or else the Harborwalk Tour along Boston Harbor. You could also check out the Boston Island Tours and head out to them for a day or an afternoon:

www.bostonislands.org

There's a "blues barge" anchored behind the Boston Harbor Hotel, which is a floating stage and it's going to be on Thursday August 23rd from 6 PM to 10 PM. So look for that if you like the Blues!

At Boston's new Institute of Contemporary Art on the waterfront there's free concerts by the Berklee Students & Alumni right outside their door and on August 23rd from 6 - 8:30 there's their "Cool Jazz" performance.

This might be fun too, it's a Tour of Fenway Park's field etc....conveniently being held on Thursday August 23rd from 6 to 9 PM.

Check this site out, it's a tour along the Charles River by Kayak or canoe and afterwards they have a barbecue, I think it's on Friday nights though, but they have all different things going on, click on Boston Tours and you'll see the different activities, it's pretty neat:

www.paddleboston.com

On Tuesday August 21st the Boston Pops Ensemble are performing right near the Marriott Long Wharf on the waterfront at Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park at 6 PM. You could stroll through Quincy Market later in the afternoon and then head here afterwards, it's right across the street from the Market area.

There's Free concerts at the Esplanade and there's one being held on Wednesday August 22nd at 7 PM., it's at the Hatch Memorial Shell.

There's a lot going on this time of year in Boston; I only touched a tiny bit of it here! These might interest you, or even taking off for the day along the coast might be fun on one of your days here.

Have a wonderful time visiting Boston!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

Don't forget to take the Freedom Trail tour. You'll see Paul Revere's house in the North End and then you can head over to the USS Constitution and their Museum and since you're from Ireland? Go to the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown and directly in front of it on the corner of High Street and Monument Avenue is the new Bunker Hill Museum that recently opened which has all kinds of interesting neat stories and facts about the Irish that lived in the town, afterwards stroll down to the Warren Tavern located at 2 Pleasant Street, it's Massachusetts oldest tavern and also a frequent visitor was George Washington himself.

www.warrentavern.com

You're going to be SO busy, you won't know what to do next when you're here! Going on Boston's Freedom Trail tour is absolutely one day tour that I KNOW you're going to all really enjoy quite a bit. You can go at your own pace if you want and just take your time.

Have a great time!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

To add to NoMo's Providence Recommendation. You can also take the train from Boston to Providence.

Sports - Check out Gillette Stadium for Football. It is about 30 minutes South of the city. You could take a train to a near by station and take a taxi to the stadium but it is suburban so plan ahead. Trains run to the stadium but only in the real season. I think the Patriots will be in preseason so there may be a game available. Hockey doesn't start until October. Home soccor games are 8/12 and 8/25 so you'll miss those. searchboston.com/dir/…

I am not sure about college since most are not in session at that time. We have a few farm baseball leugues but they all might require a car.

School websites to try for sports info would be BU, Harvard, BC but I think you might have to stick to the bars. Make sure you take a tour of Fenway park. Even if you can't see the team play the ball park is beautiful and is an American treasure.

Ton's of bars, plenty of activity. No worries on that front.

Check out duck tours (buy your tickets ahead) and old IronSides (big cool boat) The science musuem, Aquarium, or Tomb might peak your interest. Also Harvard Square is another area for people watching, food and bars. Tons of choices.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

The bar scene isn't exactly hopping Sunday through Wednesday, but if you head down to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, you will find a variety of bars and pubs with good crowds of tourists and professionals, especially after 5:00. By Thursday, the nightlife picks up dramatically and you'll find a good crowd virtually anywhere you go. There are so many bars in Faneuil Hall that you won't get bored and many of them have live music at night. I know the Black Rose has music every night and I'm sure it's not the only one.

When you get here, try to pick up a free Boston-focused magazine, like Improper Bostonian or Stuff@Night. They will give you a listing of nightlife options and events all over Boston and Cambridge.

If you're not into sight-seeing, I won't recommend the typical tourist stuff, but there a few things that might be interested. There are a couple of popular brewery tours (Sam Adams and Harpoon) in Boston. Also, check out this site for fun suggestions:

http://www.improvasylum.com/?id=126

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

You don't have to wait to get here to take a look at the local entertainment papers. Try the Phoenix online - www.bostonphoenix.com

and take a look at the event listings.

I'm pretty sure both the Phoenix and the Improper Bostonian still have club/lounge/bar with live music listings in the back pages that describe the audience and music for each club, although if something looks interesting you may want to call up and confirm that the place still exists - clubs tend to come and go.

Boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

Don't forget Cambridge/Somerville. There are a lot of great restuarants & bars there- The Field(Central Sq), Burren (Davis Sq), The B Side Lounge. Harvard Square is usually buzzing with activity and the Fogg Museam at Harvard U is nice. For music- Middle East in Central Square

Boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

I also forgot the Beehive in the South End...it is new and is getting a lot of buzz.

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

Hey,

Thanks to all who replied. I'm sure we won't have a quiet moment if we can help it. Can't wait to get there now.. First trip state side so we're gonna head to New York after Boston.

Whats the best way to get to New York if you don't want to fly?

Trains / buses / rent-a-car/ walk (yeah right...)???

If anyone is in Boston around this time look out for the three sun-burnt Paddies singing in the corners of various bars.

Does anyone know this one 'I've been a wild rover for manys the year...'

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

You can get a bus really cheaply to NYC. The Fung Wah bus line has a horrendous reputation, but it's $15 to get to NYC and that price has driven down the prices of other bus lines. They also get there pretty fast (that's what happens when you break speed limits). Fung Wah does have a presence online, but last time I checked, it took a long time to figure out the official website.

Personally, I always take the train. The acela express gets to NYC in about 3 hours (at least half the time of the bus), but it's pricy. Check out www.amtrak.com or www.acela.com for details. I wouldn't recommend driving - renting a car and driving around Boston, then NYC is a big PITA.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three irish guys visiting Boston for 5 days

The bus and train both leave from South Station. I've never bused it but usually travel that path for business so I am not concerned about the price. I always prefer the train over plane because both Boston and New York Airports require additional travel to get to downtown. Both train stations are downtown and easy to hop off and be int he heart of the city.