We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

Hi,

Our family of 5, including 3 kids under 7, will need a hotel for two nights around either Marlborough or Framingham. We will be visinting family who live at 495 and 90 and will need to reach the airport on a Saturday morning within decent times.

I've been on Hotwire and they have appealing deals for a 3-start hotel. It is almost too good to be true. Can anybody share their experience?

Thanks,

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

If you'd like us to comment on whether your deals are to good to be true, we need to know what those deals are.

AlanM

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
221 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

Before booking on hotwire, please check out www.betterbidding.com. You may even be able to figure out which hotels these are.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

I've booked through hotwire and gotten great hotels at decent prices. Same with Priceline, though that's more fun becuase there's the whole bidding process, but...either way, you can get a great deal.

The big caveats that I see are :

1. No refunds, changes, etc. Once you buy it, it's yours

No flexibility whatsoever.

2. No guaranteed flexibility re: rooms. (single, double, suite).

I recently got a huge good deal in Chicago via Priceline: 46-/night for a 3* suite hotel in the burbs just where I wanted to be. It was a gamble because I was going with a friend and we wanted 2 beds. I had to be okay with the possibility that they would not give us what we wanted and we would have had to improvise. We showed up, asked for a double and got a double. No problem.

3. You don't know which hotel you're getting until you buy it. This is okay, I think, if you know the area you want and aren't fussy about name brands. We recently booked a 3* hotel in Phoenix via Hotwire at 69-/night. We chose the airport area b/c we wanted to stay there before an early-morning flight. The airport area is what it is. A 3* hotel is what it is. We ended up in a nice Radisson that had everything we wanted. We're not super fussy or brand-loyal. I prefer Embassy Suites but...you know? The price was right. I think you can get into more trouble with 1-2* hotels.

I WOULDN'T choose Hotwire or Priceline if:

1. I definitely needed 2 beds or a King or a suite or whatever--anything special. (With those services you can request but they're under no obligation to give you what you want)

2. There was a forseeable possibility that I'd need to cancel or change anything. (They are totally inflexible. Completely so.)

3. The area I wanted to book a hotel in included an objectionable area---for example if Hotwire/Priceline grouped a "bad" or unfavorable section of town (one in which I would prefer not to stay) wwith my target area. This usually doesn't happen, but can. You need to know that you really would be okay with ANY 4* or 3* hotel in that area.

My last bit of advice re: Priceline is that you have to resist the temptation to get caught up in a bidding frenzy and end up bidding on something you don't want or ratcheting up your price unnecessarily. If Priceline rejects your bid, they offer you the chance to rebid if you change options. I've seen advice on Betterbidding.com that tells people to increase their bidding areas but...my thing is, don't bid on anything you don't want. If you want to stay in downtown Boston for example, don't extend your bid to include someplace you'd really rather not stay. It's better to wait a day and rebid then on what you really want.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

I realize you want to stay in Marlborough or Framingham, not downtown. My guess is that you should be able to get super deals in these areas via Hotwire and Priceline. I checked Hotwire and saw something like 69- for 3*s. YOu might be able to beat that on Priceline.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

I am not that familiar with the bidding sites. Is it definatley a name brand big chain hotel? There are only a dozen or so in that area so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out your choices. What info DO they give you? Framingham is a very easy trip into Boston especially on a Sat morning. NOT on a week day, the MA Pike crawls during morning rush hour. Marlborough is only 10 minutes North of the MA pike and most of those hotels are right along 495. It shouldn't be an issue but it dependson what you consider quick into the airport.

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

I recently got a $69 per night 3* hotel in Framingham on Hotwire and it turned out to be the Sheraton. We are going the end of August, so we haven't stayed there yet, but it was a good deal and from the reviews, I expect the Sheraton to be adequate. We're just doing dorm shopping prior to our daughter attending Emerson College, so it seems fine and a good deal for our needs.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

The Sheraton is a very nice hotel It is at the intersection of Route 9 and the Mass. Turnpike (90), so is a very easy jaunt to Boston. It's 1 5 or 10 minute ride to whatever shopping you would ever think of.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

You get a name brand and...if you bid for 3 and 4 stars, how bad could it be? That's my approach. However, I'm not fussy and I'm willing to sacrifice choice for bargain. As long as the n-hood is okay, anything that's 3 stars is pretty much okay with me.

If you're super particular about things or tremendously brand-loyal, then these sites aren't really for you. It's not that you don't get a name-brand hotel. You do. But if you only like a certain brand, then don't bother.

I've gone the Priceline/Hotwire route a lot lately and ended up with two Radissons and an Embassy Suites. We visited one area (small town) that had only 2 star hotels and there we got a Day's Inn that was fine.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

Hi,

Using Priceline/Hotwire for surburban hotels is a much different experience than trying to get downtown Boston hotels.

I used it last summer to get a room near my house for my Dad. I bid on a 4 star hotel in the Braintree/Randolph/Quincy district. From personal experience, I knew it would have to be either the Quincy Marriott or the Sheraton Tara. Those are the only two hotels around this area that any reasonable person would call 4-star.

Sure enough, it was the Tara I got. Their regular AAA discount rate on their website was $189/night. I bid $79/night and got the room.

I

Shrewsbury...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels around Marlborough or Framingham through Hotwire

No comment on the bidding sites - but a good hotel for you is the Embassy Suites in Marlborough - it's literally right off 495 close to the Mass Pike (I-90 interchange).

I know there's a shuttle service called Zebra - located a minute down the road from the Emb Suites. You might consider that for your shuttle.