We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Langley, B.C
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

I finally have made my way east and will be visiting one of the cities on my top 10 list, the only problem is that I only have 8 hours in your city. We don't arrive until 2 p.m. via Carnival and will only have until 10 p.m. If you could only choose one hightlight in your city what would it be?

Thanks,

Kristine

Boston
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Hi Kristine,

In 8 hours you can have a pretty full day here. Most of the neighborhoods are in walking distance (or a short T ride) from each other. So, it's very possible to explore at least three of them in the time you have.

However, rather than state what "I" would do with my eight hours could you share the things you are interested in with us? I think that would help people identify places, activities, and cuisine that you would like.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Take a taxi to Long Wharf and grab one of the tour trollies. They have a 90 minute loop of the major highlights. Then walk the downtown end of the Freedom Trail. Have lunch at Legal Seafood or in the North End. Go through Quincy Market and Fanueil Hall.

AlanM

Langley, B.C
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

The tour trolley sounds great, can you tell me if they can handle strollers, I forgot to mention in my original post that I will be travelling with a 2 and 5 year old.

Basically, even being from Vancouver, I can appreciate the history of the city and wanted to incorporate some of the historical sites in my short time there. I will review the trolley tours and see if this works.

Also dating myself but my husband heard years ago about a bar themed around the show cheers. Since this was/is his favorite show I would love to see if this is still around. Does such a place still exist?

Boston
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Yup, it's still there.

http://www.cheersboston.com/index_bh.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

If you're looking for the exact replica of the interior go to the Cheers in Faneuil Hall. If you're looking for the original Cheers where they shot the exterior shots, go to Beacon Street across from the Public Garden. The interior at this location bears zero resemblance to the Hollywood set.

Langley, B.C
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Are these two locations close to one another? Within walking distance?

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Since you have precious little time to enjoy this magnificant city, I'd really recommend skipping Cheers, unless you have your heart totally set on it. It's a major tourist trip, the food is terrible, and it doesn't look like the bar in the show. Went there many years ago and was so disappointed that I had spent the time and the money to eat there. You'll find much much better choices practically any way you turn!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Since you aren't arriving until 2pm, it's important to note that many of the historic freedom trail attractions aren't opened at night.

I think the trolley tour is a great idea. They are used to dealing w/ strollers ...

Also, since you have little ones ... be sure to visit the Public Garden (not far from the 'REAL' Cheers bar (Hampshire House) ... In the Public Garden you'll find the Swan Boats of "Make Way For Ducklings" fame and the statue of Mrs Mallad and her ducklings would probably be a major attraction. If they aren't familiar with the story, pick up a copy of the book so they will know it by the time you get here.

Happy Cruising!!

Langley, B.C
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Thanks to all for all your suggestions.

Cheers isn't on the top of the list for me but since my husband is graciously travelling with his mother-in-law AND sister-in-law I figure I better give in on a few :)

I am not familiar with the story, I will take a look.

One last question and if already answered my apologies.

At the port are quite a few things in walking distance, and finally is there anywhere to view the city at night that would be worth checking out.

Finally if anyone is travelling to Vancouver any time let me know so I can be of assistance.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in Boston via cruise - little time, what to see

Not much is close to the port itself. I agree with AlanM. Grab a cab and get a trolley tour. They can accommodate strollers as much as anything...I assume you're bringing the handy type that are easy to pack up. The kids might like a duck tour as opposed to the trolley.

I'd do the Cheers bar in Faneuil Hall (which is an area you'd want to see anyway). Tthe original Cheers bar on Beacon St looks NOTHING like hte one on the show. If you have to pick one, go to Faneuil Hall and enjoy the Quincy Market area.

The original is not withiin walking distance, though it is near Beacon Hill, which is a nice spot to go sightseeing. The tour trolley, whichever you take, should go somewhere near there.

So... I'd figure on getting onto a trolley or duck tour by 3pm and riding around, getting off at Faneuil Hall for a late dinner at Cheers? There's plenty more to see near Faneuil Hall/the waterfront.... grab a cab at 9:30ish to get back to the cruise ship.