We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topic for a Friday

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Topic for a Friday

I'm inspired by a recent query about Quincy and by a recent Globe story on neat things you can find at outlying Blue Line stops, I thought I'd throw this out there....

Are there cool things to see/do located at T or Commuter Rail stops not commonly used by tourists? Is there anything cool or noteworthy at some of the less well-traveled stops?

??? Ideas???

(I'm totally selfish, looking for neat cool places to explore...)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
167 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topic for a Friday

Depending on your interests....

Mount Auburn Cemetery, a garden cemetary where many poets, writers and influential people are buried. If you are into birds or beautiful serene places.

Take Red Line to Harvard Square and then the #71 or #73 bus. You can also walk from Harvard Square down picturesque Mt. Auburn Street, it is about a mile and a half down on the left.

Christian Science Center & Maparium in the Back Bay. (Prudential or Symphony on the Green Line) Gives you a good indication of just how much our world has changed over the years. There is also a nice reflecting pool and fountain there. Prudential Center is right next door.

Harvard Museums - Peabody Museum of Natural History is pretty diverse and pretty interesting (Harvard - Red Line)

Salem - Commuter Rail from North Station - a tourist haunt but Salem has some really nice historical homes and museums. Manchester and Rockport are also reached on this line.

Walden Pond - Concord stop on Commuter Rail from North Station- about a 1.5 miles from the station

Harbor Cruises - to the Harbor Islands and from Georges Island you can take a smaller boat to the more remote islands.

Enjoy Quincy, the Adams Mansion and library are wonderful. Even the wall paper is original. There are also several good restaurants in Quincy Center. Fajittas & Ritas, Trattoria Alba

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topic for a Friday

In Lowell, is the Lowell National Historic Park. They have restored some of the old mills, and they are fascinating. They have a lovely little immigration museum, and they offer mill and canal tours where you are on a trolley for part of the time, and then on a flat-bottom canal boat. Lowel itself is interesting to walk around the downtown area, too.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topic for a Friday

I missed the Blue Line article, so maybe this is old news but here goes:

Blue Line/Orient Heights stop. Within a 5 minute walk you'll find a variety of ethnic restaurants: Italian, Chinese, Mexican and Columbian.

Blue Line/Suffolk Downs Stop: Horse Racing (live racing 'in-season', simulcast from other tracks most of the year -- call for details); Belle Isle Marsh (conservation area). Check them out at various times of years you'll find free walking tours, dog sled rides, all sorts of things.

Blue Line/Revere Beach: beach!

Blue Line/Wonderland: dog racing track; more of Revere Beach.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topic for a Friday

When I was in Boston in January for a convention I took the green line towards Cleveland Circle and stopped at the Winthrop Road stop (my old street in Brookline).

There was an interesting Russian store there selling all kinds of imported Russian foods and candies. I bought some chocolates to bring back to the convention, everyone enjoyed them.

On the other hand, the reason we went there was to have lunch at the Golden Temple restaurant, and it was dreadful, tasted like reheated leftovers. Sometimes you can't go home again.

5. Re: Topic for a Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 17:15