We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

Orlando,FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

My wife and I are real excited and cant wait to get there. I say the morning but its actually Friday morning.

Was wondering if the great people of Tripadvisor can offer any last second advice.

I think we are going to take the T from the airport to our hotel (the charlesmark). Good or bad idea? If im not mistaken its blue line, to government center to green line to copley?Seems simple enough but dont know if its odd to do with 2 or 3 bags??

Friends have suggested Friday, Fanueil (sp?) Hall, Cactus Club for dinner and drinks and then maybe Whiskey Bar or Gypsy bar????

Any insider info?

Saturday we are hitting the Sox game and then maybe Jillians after? Any other suggestions on Landsdowne or in that area?? I did google maps and it looks like a pretty far walk from the Charlesmark to Fenway, is it? Maybe it just seems far on the map.

Any other last second info, places, bars,restaurants..would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. You guys have helped a ton already!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

It won't be "odd" to have some suitcases on the T, the real question is if that's the right strategy. Given that you'll have 2 or 3 suitcases, you'll have to be lifting and putting down several times, including the shuttle bus to take you to the Blue Line Subway and transferring from the Blue to the Green Lines, and then exiting at Copley and walking to your hotel. You need to be prepared to carry the suitcases up and down stairs. For me, I would opt for a taxi. Probably around $30.

If you're used to walking, the walk to Fenway from Copley is not a big deal. If you 're not a walker, it's going to seem far.

You'll have plenty of restaurant choices you'll hear about when you arrive.

AlanM

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

Fanueil Hall and the Cactus club whiskey bar are in slightly different sections of the city. I would just go to Fanueil Hall and pick a place. most restaurants post menus on the door and there are a ton of bars/clubs to follow up with. In my opinion our best Irish bars are in that area. Kitty O'Sheas is out on State Street and the Black Rose is legendary and usually has live irish music. For dining options:

www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/dining.html

Also, I have not been in to see this but I found this nugget ont eh the Faneuil Hall marketplace website and it's free:

What Summer Nights Marketplace Lights & Laser Show

When Fri Aug 3 21:30 - Fri Aug 3 21:45

Where West End of the Marketplace

Everyone in Boston ends their day and begins their night at Faneuil Hall Marketplace. This summer join Boston natives and world travelers every night May 26 – September 3 on the Marketplace’s West End to see the FREE Summer Nights Marketplace Lights and Laser spectacular. Ooh and ahh watching the combination of lasers, lights and music dance across the Marketplace while depicting the Faneuil Hall Marketplace story.

Lastly in addition to hte dance clubs and bars there is a Comedy Club up above the central building in Fanueil Hall.

Tons of Bars and clubs on Landsdowne street. Jillians is at the very end so you'll have a chance to walk past all the others before you get there. It's a good place to start. I'm not sure if times have changed but a number of the clubs used to have rules against sneakers and jeans. Since you will be at the Red Sox game first I would n't worry about it too much and just find a place to hang out and have fun wear you are comfortable. There is no shortage of places in either neighborhood. If you have a third night to play than I would check out the Whisky bar and Cactus club as they are in the back bay. Not far but when your having a good time...far enough.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

Actually, I think you're referring to Whiskey Bar in the Park Plaza and not Whiskey's, right? Whiskey's is in Copley and Whiskey Bar is an upscale club in the theater district. If Whiskey Bar is what you mean, it and Gypsy Bar are right around the corner from each other and great places for a night out.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

You might want to take advantage of this event I just found out about : restaurant week. it ends this friday. Over 100 of Boston's finest restaurant offer 3 course lunch at 20.07$ and 3 course dinner at 30.07$

www.bostonusa.com/restaurantweek.

It will be my 1st time in Boston. I'll be there from friday morning to sunday afternoon. I can't wait to discover this city : it seems wonderful from what I read.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

Boston IS wonderful. Unfortunately, Restaurant Week is a HUGELY popular event and reservations sell out quickly. You might try looking at opentable.com to see what's available. It might be a quicker option than calling each restaurant. We ate at Sel de la Terre last night and it was really terrific!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

Have fun you got advice and help from the wonderful people who know Boston.

Orlando,FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

Great advice from everyone.

I think we are going to stick to the T since its way cheaper and $60 there and back in cab is a pretty great dinner or some drinks for a night out. =)

Great info from everyone and I really appreciate all your help and cant wait to leave in the morning!!

8. Re: Leaving for Boston in the Morning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 01:20