We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Boston by rail

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morpeth, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New York to Boston by rail

Flying to NY in October and planning a couple of weeks in Boston. Is it worth getting an Amtrack pass or just a return on the train?

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Boston by rail

I'd pay the $30-$50 for the Greyhound/Peter Pan bus... the bus is cheap and clean and a great way to get from NYC to Boston and back.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Boston by rail

I don't think it's worth a pass if you are only going to Boston. Just FYI, Amtrak travel in these parts tends to be much more expensive than the rest of the country because so many people travel this route from Boston to D.C. and all the major cities in between. But I am not sure how a pass would help here. Plus with the pound so strong against the dollar, it should be quite reasonable for you.

I prefer travel on a train much more than on a bus especially since the trip is quite scenic as it follows the coastline to Boston for quite a distance. Plus you can get up, grab a drink, sit in the lounge car and enjoy the views.

The cheaper train would be the "regional". This uses older cars and makes more stops. The newer Acela Express, makes less stops and utilizes state of the art equipement, but it competes with the local airlines for business travelers so the price tag is greater.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Boston by rail

Probably not worth the pass because Amtrak won't take you anywhere from Boston except back to New York. One exception: Amtrak runs up to Portland, Me. from Boston. But to get anywhere from Boston within New England or up to Canada, other than somewhere along the route back to NYC, you'd need some other transportation.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
988 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Boston by rail

Amtrak also has service from Boston to Chicago via Albany, NY.

5. Re: New York to Boston by rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 06:20