We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving day

Mexico City
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving day

Any suggestions for things to do on Thanksgiving day?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,724 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving day

Not really much to do most places will be closed,everyone will be gearing up for Black Friday the most craziset shopping day as far as bargain prices,and most people will be home eating watching High School football in the morning and NFL in the afternoon.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving day

You might want to experience Plimouth Plantation. That would REALLY give you that Thanksgiving history feeling.

AlanM

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving day

On a similar note, if you have a car Old sturbridge village will have activities. Plymouth often has protests that day by native american tribes. Sturbridge would avoid that angle. bostoncentral.com/events/special/p3374.php

An altruistic activity...many of the homeless shelters in the city will be serving big dinners for their guests. I'm sure they would love a helping hand. Pine Street Inn and Rosie's Place are our two biggest. If interested, give them a call and they can point oyu in the right direction.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving day

i am int he same boat myself, i am flying out of boston on thanksgiving day but not till late so any suggestions of good places to go or pubs/ restaurants that might be open would be greatly appreciated

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving day

Most bars will be open, at least at night. As for restaurants, you can check on opentable (if you want a traditional Thanksgiving meal), or else, many ethnic-type places stay open on that day.

While museums and stores are closed, it's actually a nice day to walk around and see the city without the usual crowds. You will largely have the city to yourself.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving day

If you decide you want to volunteer, I hear that the bigger shelters are usually inundated w/ volunteers that day. You may be more out of smaller programs. Check out the "Monday Lunch Program" at the Cathedral Church of St Paul (Episcopal, on Tremont St). They also serve Thanksgiving dinner and may need help. They serve anybody who cares to show up ... income level, address and religionious afiliation (or lack there of) do not matter.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving day

Oooops ... I meant "religious affiliation"

8. Re: Thanksgiving day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:15