We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complete Noob

Gilbert, AZ
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Complete Noob

Hi there...

Normally, I hang out on the Vegas forums or Anaheim since those are my normal vacation destinations.

However, next week brings me and DH to a completely new experience. Ive never been east before and we are headed to Boston for the very first time.

We are staying in Cambridge at the Hotel Marlowe (Any info or opinions about this place would be appreciated) Theres nothing up on the hotel section of this site.

Some basic questions..

I am not a huge seafood fan (Dont lynch me). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Shrimp Cocktail and I am also interested to try either a Lobster or a Lobster Roll. Any info about these items would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested to go to the Fine Art Museum (Im a Monet fan) and Ive heard Fanueil Marketplace would be fun.

Oh, North End, I am extremely interested trying some good Italian food, but I still need to read my Frommers Book first before I start asking questions about this place.

So, thats about it for now

Thanks in advance for your kindness and help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complete Noob

Check out "Cambridge, MA" on TA. You'll like where the Hotel Marlowe is ranked.

Legal Seafoods has fantastic shrimp cocktail. Also, some of the high-end steakhouses offer tasty shrimp cocktail as well. Abe & Louie's and Capital Grille come to mind.

The Museum of Fine Arts is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Admission is around $20. Go to mfa.org for more info.

You don't need Frommers to find a good North End restaurant. Enter "favorite North End restaurant" in the search option and you'll have many, many ideas.

Faneuil Hall is a nice spot for tourists. Rich in history and in food!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
185 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complete Noob

AN early welcome to our fair city...

If you like Monet, then the MFA is for you, they have several along with a substantial Impressionist Collection. I personally like their AMerican Collection, with the the Copleys and the Stuarts and the Revere Silver. Also the Gardner Museum which is literally around the corner from the MFA is a real gem. It is more of the Dutch and Italian Masters but it is fairly small and very enjoyable as it is not overwhelming. The Harvard Museums are also very convenient as you are close to the Red Line.

I do not like seafood either and I live here but there are several 'Legal Seafoods' and they come highly recommended. Their chicken ceasar salad is also quite good as that is what I usally get when I am there :)

I do not know of any info on the Marlowe but you are very convenient to public transport either the Green Line (Lechmere) or Red Line (kendall/MIT). You are also quite close to the Cambridge Galleria if you want a quick snack at the food court. You are right next to the Charles River so if it is a beautiful take a stroll along the river or walk over the Longfellow Bridge (or the Salt and Pepper Bridge as it is known here, you will see what I mean)

As for the North End, it is hard to find a bad meal. I had a very nice meal at Fiores and I hear lots of good things about Luccas, both on Hanover St. Make sure you stop at Mike's or the Modern Bakery for pastry/cookies/cannolis. Don't be intimidated by the crowds just throw yourself in there, the counter help is quite nice and patient.

Fanueil Hall is touristy but fun. Try to actually go upstairs in the actual Faneuil Hall Building as the Great Hall is really beautiful and the Massachusetts Ancients and Honorables are on the upper floor and they have displays from the Revolutionary, Civil and the World Wars.

If you would like a day trip, Salem on the commuter rail from North STation is a nice day trip.

Have a great time...

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Complete Noob

Don't forget the freedom trail. Early in your trip, start at the top and work your way down. It will bring you through the parks, past churches and cemetaries (with many notable residents), down through fanueil hall, down through the North end and ends up in Charlestown at old Ironsides. It is a true taste of Boston history. Plan the art museums for a seperate day as they are in the opposite direction.

See www.thefreedomtrail.org for more info.

Wednesday nights are free at the MFA:

Admission

Members FREE

Adults $17

Seniors and Students 18 and older $15

Youths 7-17 $6.50**

Youths 6 and under FREE

**Youths 7–17 are admitted free on weekdays after 3 pm, weekends, and Public School holidays. Fee charged for visits by school and other youth groups (six or more); must be scheduled in advance.

Citizens Bank Foundation Wednesday Nights at the MFA: No general admission fee required. Every Wed, 4–9:45 pm. Voluntary donations welcome. Special exhibitions ticketed separately.

INCLUDED WITH GENERAL ADMISSION:

Full-day access to all open galleries (except ticketed exhibitions)

One free repeat visit to the MFA's collections within ten days

FREE Guided Tours

FREE Gallery Talks

Admission to the Bookstore & Shop, Bravo restaurant, and Remis Auditorium

Please note: There is an additional charge for Gund Gallery ticketed exhibitions.

Gilbert, AZ
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Complete Noob

Thanks for all of the helpful advice!!

I am completely excited for our trip :)

5. Re: Complete Noob

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 23:16