We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

California
7 posts
Save Topic
1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

Good evening, we will be traveling to Boston for business leaving this coming Saturday, traveling all day. We have only Sunday to do any site seeing.

I have never been anywhere near Boston, and I would like to know (in your opinion) is the very best way to spend my one day. We will have a rental car. I am open for suggestions!

Thank you and I really look forward to seeing what you have to say!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

Boston is a walking city. On street parking can be difficult, lots of "resident only" spaces, garages are expensive.

This is a nice walk, it will bring through a few neighborhoods........

Start in the Back Bay section, Prudential Center Skywalk Observatory, Boylston St, Newbury St. Walk through the Boston Public Garden then take a left onto Chalres St. Very nice, quaint street, lots of antique shops. Then walk back to Beacon St and go past the State House. Walk down to Tremont St to Government Center to Faneuil Hall. You can stroll around Faneuil Hall area, go to the waterfront, then end up in the North End for dinner.

Also, take the MBTA (mbta.com) red line to Harvard Square, walk thru Harvard Yard, stroll around the square.

This is so basic, but it's a start.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

Since you are coming on a Sunday, garage rates are more affordable. The first thing you'll want to do is pahhk your cahh because it is not easy to drive around here. The Boston Common garage has a $10 flat fee, not sure what the Prudential Center or Clarendon Street garage charges on weekends.

Previous poster gives you a nice itinerary. You may want to begin by taking a 90 minute Boston Duck Tour to get acclimated to the city and then go from there.

boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

I'd say walk the freedom trail. You have the history of the city plus you get a fantastic tour of our most charming neighborhoods. You can probably locate a tour or just download a walking tour online and do it yourself. Don't miss stopping along the way at a few of the pubs:)

California
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

thank you for your suggestions. Nothing like locals to give you the real scoop. But after reviewing info and such, I think I would like to do the freedom trail, but my husband cannot walk very much. What do they do for people who are physically challenged? No info on the freedom trail website regarding handicapped access. Anybody have any info on that??? Again, many thanks to all. -Doreen

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

Well. the Freedom Trail is a self-guided tour, so there's not much "they" can do. It's just a red line that is painted on the sidewalks/streets that makes it easy for people to get to certain sights. If your husband's mobility is limited, you might want to just look into what specific sights you are most interested in seeing and take a cab/the T directly to them.

California
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

please....what is the T? I keep hearing that phrase, and don't know what it is. I would think it is some sort of bus or public transportation. Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

The T is the MBTA which stands for Mass Bay Transit Authority (subway, buses, water taxis, etc.) that goes around Boston and out to some suburbs. You can see all the schedules at www.mbta.com.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

Here is a handy guide on the MBTA web site for stations that are near some tourist sites:

mbta.com/uploadedFiles/…destination_guide.pdf

Many spots around town you can take one or more subway lines to get there. Each subway line is a different color.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

The tour trolleys will take you the Freedom Trail route and save your husband the walking...

10. Re: 1 DAY to site see in Boston - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:18