We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on best location to stay

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Help on best location to stay

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Boston for 8 days from the end of November (day after Thanksgiving) for my birthday.

We want to visit the following places and wondered if anyone can suggest some hotels that would be good bases for what we want to do. To give a guide, places like the Omni, Hyatt and John Hancock seem to have good packages at the moment. We like to do as much by foot as we can -that way you see more

We are planning:

USS Constitution, Freedom Trail, Duck Tour (my hubby has been dying to go on the London ones but we never seem to get round to it!), Faneuil Hall Market Place, Aquarium, Boston Tea Party Ship and Museum (if open), Quincy Market, Filene's, Newbury St, Copley Square, Harvard University, Boston University Observatory - public open nights (weather permitting), Wrentahm Village Shopping Outlet (a must!).

Now I know its seems alot but we will combine most of these as I always organise my days with military precision!!!

So any thoughts anyone?

Thanks for your help in advance

Sarah

Middlesex County, MA
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on best location to stay

Sarahms,

Some questions that might make it easier to offer some suggestions:

How many people in the room, two?

Do you have a price range in mind? Maximum per night budget?

What do you think is most important in choosing the hotel? The size of the rooms? The amenities that are included in the room charge - like plush robes, coffeemaker/supplies, turn-down service? A really good restaurant on the premises? Concierge service that goes "above and beyond"?

It has been several years since I stayed in the Omni, but it was reasonably priced, good location for seeing and the room had nice furnishings, but nothing about the hotel made me say "Wow!" A friend stayed at the Hyatt Regency summer of 2003, and I visited her there, the rooms were like any chain hotel, low on ambiance and special touches. I haven't been in the John Hancock, but it gets mixed reviews here on TripAdvisor.

I've been reading some goodf things about the Nine Zero Hotel, but haven't been there personally. If you go to the Hotel tab at the top of this page, you'll be directed to the Boston Hotels overview page which allows you to choose from several different areas - Downtown/Beacon Hill/Back Bay/Fenway. You can then see the hotels ranked highest in those specific neighborhoods, see their average price, pull up maps to look at the location, and read recent reviews of the properties.

The only other advice I'd give is that the Wrentham Outlet mall is more than 25 miles from the Boston Downtown area, so plan to make that a half day trip, at least

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on best location to stay

Hi Accidental Tourist,

There will be just the 2 of us - Hubby and myself.

We don't necessiarily want sumptous surroundings but would like somewhere clean, comfortable and with friendly staff - don't know if you know it but we stayed at the Affinia Dumont in New York last birthday and that was great.

I think the most important thing is location though - I have looked at all the hotel reviews and wouldn't book one without looking here on this site but I really am not sure which area is best for being able to mainly walk to the majority of places we want to see

As for Wrentham - I was allowing a day - we spent all day in the Woodbury Common one in New York - and it will be near to Christmas - we will go on a weekday!!

Price wise - its hard to say as I am looking at packages with Expedia incluing flights as the flights to Boston from the UK are quite expensive - so packages seem the best option at the moment i.e. they are offering the Omni for ��617.00 (pounds) each at the moment inc flights - whereas BA flights alone are ��310 each alone - I doubt I will find a hotel for less than ��600 (pounds) for 7 nights at that time?

Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks for your help

Best Wishes Sarah

Middlesex County, MA
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on best location to stay

That seems like a really good deal -- 600 GBP = $1100 USD (+/- a few dollars)

The Omni would probably suffice (not a 5 star hotel but quite decent) as far as being adjacent to many of the areas you'd like to see, and easy access to the subway system (The "T") as well:

-------

Nearby Points of Interest:

Freedom Trail - Omni Parker is located on the trail

Downtown Crossing (shopping) - adjacent

Theater District - adjacent

Park Street Subway Station - 150 yards

Boston Common - 150 yards

Public Garden - 3 blocks

Faneuil Hall Marketplace - 4 blocks

(Quincy Market is adjacent to Faneuil Hall)

Old Town Trolley Tours - 0.25 miles

Newbury Street shopping - 6 blocks

New England Aquarium - 6 blocks

Copley Place Mall - 1.5 miles

Bunker Hill Monument - 2 miles

Symphony Hall - 2 miles

Fenway Park - 2.5 miles

Museum of Fine Arts-Boston - 2.5 miles

I haven't stayed in a huge number of downtown hotels, so I'm hoping Spensworld will leap in here, as he is the Boston Local Expert and always makes good recommendations, he has a wealth of knowledge. Knowing your price range is helps a good deal. Hey, Spens?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on best location to stay

For all that you are trying to see I would definately reccommend staying downtown or on the water. Omni Parker house is fantastic and in a great location. I would also reccommend Marriot Long Wharf...it is on the water right next to aquarium and very resonably priced. Although I have never been here I hear the Doubletree Downtown is very nice hotel and is also ina prime location.

FYI The Boston Tea Party ship is closed. They had a fire a few years back and are waiting to renovate. They are trying to get more money to make it even better!

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on best location to stay

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I think I will go ahead and book the Omni as it may not be the Ritz but it sounds like it will be fine for us and in a good location at a good price.

No doubt I will be asking lots of other questions over the next few months - so please be patient with me!!! Unfortunatley I am one of those people who has to be very well organised and know what I am doing well in advance (although I have been known to "go with the flow"!!!)

Best Wishes

Sarah

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on best location to stay

I can't argue with the choice of the Omni (Parker House.) You'll be around the block from Quincy Market, right at the Freedom Trail, and not a great distance on foot from many of the other must-sees you listed.

By Thanksgiving we've typically experienced our first snowfall, and it will have turned chilly at night, but it can still be relatively mild during the day. With the weather on your side you could tour the Back Bay and Beacon Hill without needing to board the subway. Should it wind up being cold or nasty out, the Green Line's Government Center stop is within sight of the Omni and its trolleys stop at convenient points all through the Back Bay. Or, a short walk to the State St station on the Orange Line and four stops away on the Forest Hills train is Back Bay Station, whence you can get into the Copley Place "shopping gallery" of upscale stores and restaurants without going outside. From there you can walk across an enclosed, heated "sky bridge" spanning Huntington Ave to reach Prudential Center, yet another large mall.

Reaching the Harvard Square area is also a breeze from the Omni, as you have but a short distance to cover before reaching the Park St station. The Red Line train bound for Alewife will deliver you to the middle of the square in 15 minutes or less.

Forego car rental until you're ready to make your Wrentham expedition. Parking in the city is expensive and hard to come by.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on best location to stay

Thanks Spensworld

We were going to get a bus to Wrentham - Grayline seem to do them - do you know if they run all day? When we caught Grayline from NYC to Woodbury Common they left several times a day and returned frequently until 9.30pm?

Is their bus station walking distance to the Omni?

Sarah

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on best location to stay

Boston's main bus terminal is at South Station, which is served by the Red Line. Take any train - headed for either Ashmont or Braintree - two stops from Park St. Or, on foot walk down Tremont to Winter St, then stay on Winter when it turns into Summer (no joke) for a few more blocks, allowing 15-20 leisurely minutes. Since the Gray Line is a tour excursion company, they may well offer pick-up at hotels. You'd have to check with them. Cheers for deciding against renting a car!

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on best location to stay

Boston to Wrentham - it appears that there is one departure daily at 10:00 A. M. on the Gray Line.

www.etix.com/travel/servlet/onlineSale…

or ww.grayline.com

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on best location to stay

Allow me to correct my last comment. According to the Gray Line Website, there are several pickup points including the Omni Parker House and the pickup time varies according to the pickup location. However, I believe that there is only one departure per day, seven days a week.

Check the www.grayline.com website for pickup times, reservation bookings and return times. The price appears to be $18 round trip per adult.