We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
naples
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

Sheraton, Hilton or Colonnade? Location is key for us to shopping and eating for just 1 night.

Also.......Best way, safest and cheapest to get from airport to hotel? What is Airways Trans shuttle?

Thanks in advance.

syracuse,ny
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

I stayed at the colonnade, I loved it. It is close to shopping and eating. Prudential center is across the street, there is a mall and many restaurants. The subway stop is right outside the colonnades front door. I do not know about the airport transportation.

boston
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

All 3 are in good spots. Out of the 3 I would take the Hilton liked the rooms better

Boston...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

The three are literally within sight of each other. Best hotel restaurant is the Brasserie Jo at the Colonnade. I am under the impression (someone correct or confirm this, please!) that the smallest rooms in the Colonnade have no bathtub, just a shower stall. Best hotel gym is the Marriott-- indoor pool and gym; at this time of year, the Colonnade's pool isn't open. Marriott also connects directly to the Prudential Center Mall. But I do like the ambience at the Hyatt, more relaxed/informal than the other two. All three are so close that distance doesn't matter.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

As everyone else mentioned all the hotels are a stones through away, so IMO I would pick the Sheraton. It is literally attached tp the Prudential. You can go shopping or eat there. It has an amazing gym/spa.

About transportation.... the shuttle is a private company that you pay a flat rate for plus tip. It is usually a van and depending on the time could have more then just your party in it and will make stops. The T is very convenient and cheap. Only 1.25 per ride. It is very safe but, if you are arriving late at night the blue line can make you a little uneasy(lots of men and as a female it kind makes me uncomfortable to be on an almost empty train with all men). It is great because there is a T stop right @ Prudential near all the hotels. Hope this help!

Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

The Coplay Marriot would be your best bet. It has everything you are looking for. wonderful restaurants and upscale shopping. close to the MBTA too.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

You can't go wrong with any of those three. The advantage to the Sheraton, as well as the Westin and Marriott at Copley Place, is that you don't have to venture outside to shop or eat. Of course, the Hilton and Colonnade are a mere walk across the street from the Prudential end of the Pru/Copley Place mall combination, but currently the weather's so terrible that this turns into something significant to ponder. The unfortunate down side to this is that you won't get a sense of having visited Boston by being holed up next to shopping areas that could be in any city in the Western world.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

"ditto" to Spensworld". And by far the cheapest way is the subway ($1.25 per person each way) The subway is quite safe... the one downside is that if you have lots of luggage, be prepared to schlepp them up some stairs... there is no escalator at most subway stations.

All the hotels you mention are easily reached from multiple subway stations... depending on which one you decide on, you'll be able to narrow the subway selection down to a short haul.

The Colonade is literally on top of the Prudential Center stop on the Green Line. The Hilton and Sheraton are across the street from each other a block away from the Colonade... which you can actually traverse indoors if it's raining by cutting through the Prudential Center Mall.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back Bay hotels...help me decide quick!

By transferring from the Blue Line (out of Airport Station) to the Orange Line at State St, you can board a train bound for Forest Hills and disembark at Back Bay. When you're off the train, walk to the far front end of the platform, then through the doors there. You'll be in a passage that'll take you beneath Dartmouth St and lead you to the lobby of Copley Place. One flight up on the escalator and you can proceed to the Westin or Marriott lobbies which are both connected to the shopping complex, or walk across the enclosed "sky bridge" to the Prudential Center with the Sheraton at the far end. At no time will you have to be exposed to the elements.

If you opt for the Colonnade, there IS an escalator from the platform to the street at Prudential. Turn right once you're past the turnstiles in order to exit on the same side of Huntington that the hotel's on.

Thanks to ADA, most MBTA stations now also have elevators.