We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Topic
I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Did anyone ever use that expression growing up in Boston?

Ever eat a spuckie and drink a tonic?

Anyone know of the best car rental deals into and out of Logan for a week? THanks dkel

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

That's a tough one! The Boston market for rental cars is one of the most expensive in the country. You might try a hotwire search and see what you get. Sometimes the offices located downtown offer specials. There's an Avis at Government Center, Budget at the Holiday Inn/Gov't Center - Cambridge Street and Hertz at the Motor Mart Garage in Park Square (Stuart & Columbus)

I say tonic all the time, which confuses most people. Never did have a spuckie (I think that only applied in Eastie) but I eat sangwiches all the time! LOL

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

My husband and I are native Bostonians. I never said "I hosey that set in the cah" but he said he used the expression. We both drank "tonic". My mother, also a native Bostonian, used to tell us a story of how she went to NYC as a young woman and sat at a drug store soda fountain and ordered a tonic. The waitress went and got the pharmacist who asked my mother "You want tonic? Why? Are you sick?" LOL!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

I drank tonic until I went away to college. I got picked on so much, I had to give it up! I now drink soda. It tastes much better! I didn't hosey but "high hoseyed" as in "I high hosey the front seat!"

As for car rentals, I'd suggest searching out the cheapest price using hotwire, etc... then make a lower bid on Priceline.com. Keep in mind that the Priceline bid does not include taxes (although you will see the price with taxes before the bid goes through).

If you don't like Priceline, check for AAA discounts or discount coupons in the "Entertainment" book.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

OMG here comes another thread on Boston expressions...

I've lived in the area for 25 years and have never once heard "hosey;" am not sure what exactly it means!

A college friend had to put up with endless grief when she waitressed here, until she caught on that "regulah coffee" did NOT mean you served it to the customer black.

Boys used to get "wiffles" every summer until they reached their teens; now they're called "buzz cuts" mostly.

Calling ground beef "hambuhg" is dying off too.

But a lot of people still don "dungarees" for "casual Friday."

And nowhere else do you hear an exasperated parent point to the door and yell "Screw!" at a kid who's gotten underfoot!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Spens' "hosey" would be used by young children. It could be used to "claim" anything for yourself first... the best seat in the car, the last piece of chocolate cake or the best inner tube at the lake!

The "I hosey" or in my case, "high hosey" was usualy followed by a "no suh!" and a fight! There were 7 kids in my family so you had to be quick with the hoseying! Ahh... memories!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

By the way Spens' congrats on the "Local Expert" title... well deserved I might add!

Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

I still think the best subs are on a spuckie and I still ask for tonic.

As for deals for car rentals, I have found great deals through the Entertainment coupon book coupons. Right now, you can get one of their books for only $9.99 or $9.

And coming from a big family we often did hosey seats or other things.

Middlesex County, MA
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

So is saying you "hosey" or "high hosey" the front seat the same thing as saying "shotgun" ?

Is a spuckie the same thing as a bulkie roll?

I'm from Oregon, we call tonic "pop"...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

"High-hosie", I want a "wicked pissah" frappe with that sub... tonic gives me gas.

As fah as cah rentals go... they-ah all thuh same... expensive. One thing about visiting Boston... no mattuh when ya cum, thahs no such thing as a bahgun in hotels or rental cahs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

fuhgot tuh menshun... if ya gut moah than foah people, bettuh reserve a "beach wag'n"