We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Night at Grotto

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA Woods
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Big Night at Grotto

I would love to go to the next Big Night to celebrate our anniversary. Their suggested garb of 50's attire is throwing me off! Don't think that I can talk my husband into this one.

Has anyone been to Big Night? If we arrive dressed in street clothes will we be out of place?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Night at Grotto

Pardon my ignorance, but what IS Big Night?

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Night at Grotto

Big Night is a recreation of the feast scene from the movie of the same name. I think Grotto does it twice a year.

brokenankle, I've never been, but I know I've read several reviews of it on chowhound. If no one here can answer your question about attire, I'm sure someone there will.

MA Woods
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Night at Grotto

Dear Alanm,

Big Night at The Grotto Restaurant is a recreation of an almost cult classic restaurant movie. I think that Tony Shaloub (most recently seen in Monk), won an award for his performance.

I am surprised that as a local expert, you have never heard of it. Anyhing that you could find out regarding the fifties dress code would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Night at Grotto

As it turns out, I actually did see the movie, but had no idea all this activity was developing around it. Well, now I know just a little more and will have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

AlanM

MA Woods
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Night at Grotto

Hi Alanm,

So glad that I didn't offend you!

I really want to go to Big Night. It's our 28th anniversary. To get there will be tough, we'll have to make overnight arrangements for our 9 year old son. And I'm not even going to start looking for a hotel nearby until I can figure out the fifties dress code thing.

I've called the restaurant and left a message. Any further help from you would be much appreciated.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Night at Grotto

I did a littl google and found this entry...the line "encouraged to dress" makes me think that it is not required....

Big Night is Back at Grotto

Chef-owner Scott Herritt is setting the stage for his best Big Night Dinner ever at Grotto on Thursday, October 4th. A favorite among gourmands and movie buffs, the dinner pays tribute to the 1996 film Big Night, the story of two Italian brothers who, in an attempt to save their flailing restaurant, host an elaborate dinner of authentic regional Italian dishes for the great bandleader, Louis Prima. Herritt and his team recreate the mood and the five-course menu from the movie - dishes include timpano and whole roasted suckling pig, beef tenderloin, lamb, chicken, and a wide selection of fresh vegetables. Staff and guests are encouraged to dress in the 50’s era clothing from the movie. The Big Night dinner, which starts at 7:00pm, costs $70 dollars with wine, or $50 dollars if you'd like to chose your own vintage. Call 617.227.3434 for reservations.

- posted: 09/21/2007

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Night at Grotto

I just called the Grotto and posed your question. They said you wouldn't feel funny at all, as more people don't dress up than do. You can talk to them directly yourself at 617.227.3434 at this very time.

Have a ball!!

AlanM

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Night at Grotto

Alan...your expert star has been redeemed :)

I also found this review on chow hound, sounds extravagant...

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/371727

MA Woods
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Night at Grotto

Thanks to everyone! I just made our reservations at Grotto for Big Night on 11/14/07.

10. Re: Big Night at Grotto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 05:26