We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Boston

My husband and I are planning a trip to Boston and I have a few questions.

We were in New York last year and found everything fairly easy to find.

1) - Can you complete all historic sites by walking.

2) - Are the shopping streets/department Stores easily acccessible ie. Macy's/Bloomingdales

3) - I don't know anything about baseball but I know my husband would be interested in seeing Fenway Park - when is the Baseball season and how easy/hard is it to get tickets.

4) - I have seen a few district names but how easy is it to get a hotel in the middle of everything

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Boston

Boston is a very compact city and almost everything is reachable by walking. Those a little further out can be reached via the "T", Boston's subway system. The Downtown Area consists of Downtown Crossing, the Waterfront, Beacon Hill and Back Bay. All are close to each other and very walkable. There are many hotels in these areas.

Most of the historic sights are in the Downtown Crossing and adjacent North End, which also houses Boston's Italian section. They are interconnected by a marked walking route called the Freedom Trail.

There are three major shopping areas in the city: Downtown Crossing, where Macy's is located; Copley Square, home of the Copley Place and Prudential Center Malls, both fully inside and connected; and Newbury Street, which houses many of the city's boutiques and art galleries.

There are many malls surrounding the city, including the Chestnut Hill Mall with Bloomingdale's, but these are most easily accessed by car. There is outlet shopping about an hour southwest of the city in Wrentham. Gray Line runs busses from Downtown to there.

Baseball season runs from April to October (or September if we're not so lucky). Tickets are very difficult and expensive to get. But Fenway Park has daily tours that may give you the taste you're looking for.

AlanM

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Boston

Check out CajunGirl's recent trip report to Boston. Lots of good ideas for ways to get around (using the subway) and enjoy the city....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k155168…

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
54 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Boston

Fenway Park (home of the World Champion Red Sox) does offer tours even in the off season:

boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

4. Re: First Trip to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 14:15