We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for mother/daughter Boston U. visit

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel for mother/daughter Boston U. visit

I'm taking my daughter to Boston in July to look at Boston U. Having never been there, I need recommendations for good hotels that are near the campus or easily accessible to the campus. We'd love to stay somewhere where we can shop/eat/look around and experience the flavor of the city.

Thanks!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for mother/daughter Boston U. visit

Are you looking at any price range? The Eliot Hotel is on Commonwealth Ave. I went to BU---it is a truly a city university, in other words not much green space.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for mother/daughter Boston U. visit

The Eliot is "high end" but nicely located about a half-mile from what's more or less the center of the BU campus. (I put it this way because the school's dorms, classroom buildings, offices, etc are spread out over a mile or so along the river and Comm. Ave. Tip: Start your campus viewing along Bay State Rd and Comm Ave - parallel streets - in Kenmore Square. You can then either walk up Comm Ave all the way past the School for the Arts and the General Studies building to the athletic complex on the west end of campus. Either that, or catch an outbound Green Line "B" trolley from the first stop above ground [Blandford] and ride it to the Babcock stop or any place in between. You don't have to pay to use the outbound - away from downtown - trolleys on the street.)

The Commonwealth is another pricy hotel that's convenient to BU. It's on land owned by the school and is part of their attempt to gentrify Kenmore Square. So far, let's say the results are uneven. Because the neighborhood is a draw for thousands of college kids and is also the "front door" to Fenway Park, there will probably always be a funky and gritty quality to it. Across the BU Bridge there's the Hyatt Regency Cambridge east of the bridge, and the Radisson to the west. A Doubletree Suites sits along Soldiers Field Rd on the Boston side of the river, not far upstream from the school.

Opposite the Commonwealth, at Brookline and Beacon, is the Buckminster Hotel. It's a sturdy old pile of bricks that - depending on whose review you read or who you talk to - either has or has not succeeded in shaking its longtime reputation as a flophouse. Other accommodations on the budget-friendly side would be the Fenway Motor Lodge on upper Boylston St on the far side of the ballpark, the Brookline Holiday Inn, and the Beacon Inn Guesthouse.

To be more "in town," and again if "nicer" hotels are doable, select from any of the chain establishments: Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott, and Westin. They are all in the Back Bay area, a short subway/trolley ride or less than a half-hour's walk from BU. Independent choices on the Kenmore side of Back Bay include the Charlesmark and Lenox hotels. Staying in that area would put you right at "scads" of eating and shopping places.

Since I keep bringing up mass transit, I should let you know that the "T" service here is light years ahead of anything comparable in Ohio. There may be lots of room for improvement, but the system works relatively well most of the time and is safe to use. All types and classes of people utilize it, unlike at least in Cincinnati where there's a social stigma attached to public transportation.

The "flavor of the city" is drastically different during the summer months. The natives and we transplants reassume ownership while tens of thousands of collegians are away.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for mother/daughter Boston U. visit

I may be wrong, but I heard that many schools actually make their dorm rooms available during the summer. It may be worth looking into.

Otherwise, since BU is right on the "Green Line" of the "T", most hotels in the city center shouldn't be ruled out. The challenge will be to find a room... July is a big tourist month in Boston. The neighborhoods that would be easiest to get around by public transportation, relative to BU, would be:

1 - Back Bay (Prudential, Copley, Park Plaza)

2 - Downtown (Ladder District, Theatre District, Government Center)

3 - Cambridge (Harvard Sq., Kendall Sq.) - are located on the Red Line, but it's an easy transfer between the Red and Green Lines at Park St. station, and should by no means disqualify an otherwise acceptable location.

Bear in mind, that if you're bringing a car, most hotels do NOT provide free parking, and on-street spaces for non-residents are few and far between in ANY neighborhood.