We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

We'll be flying in and out of Boston (Logan Airport) on a trip next summer. We'll be staying in Boston (downtown) at the beginning of our trip and touring New England, and then ending our trip in Newport, RI before flying home from Logan Airport again.

Our flight leaves at 10AM, so I am trying to decide if we should drive up from RI the morning of our flight or leave RI a day earlier and overnight in a Boston airport hotel. I've heard rush hour traffic in the Boston area can be really bad, so I am thinking of the airport hotel. The Hilton Logan Airport looks nice, but at $300. just to overnight, that's quite ridiculous.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Paula

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

You're right to be concerned about rush hour traffic. It is particularly bad from the south, which is where you are coming from. But it is doable. Normally, Newport to Boston is about a hour and a half or so. If you double that, you should be okay. So leaving at 5 or 5:30 AM should work.

Alternatively, for $300 (and I'm thinking much less), you should be able to get a room Downtown. It's an easy hop from Downtown to the Airport. You won't have to worry about the commuter traffic. Try, for example, the Millenium Bostonian. I understand they have renovated most of their rooms now. Then you can enjoy the city the night before as your kind of farewell!!

Alan

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

There is a HOV lane when you hit Braintree. Make sure you take this. When you exit, stay in the left lane. There will be another HOV lane to Logan which you access from the left lane.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

I assume you're talking about a weekday? If you leave very early, you'll probably be okay. I would not attempt to cut it close at all. I drive in from the South and my travel time varies widely, depending on accidents and weather. With more people on flex-time now, you hit traffic even at 6am--years ago, the x-way was dead until 7am. The HOV lanes are there, but they're not always whizzing along. Some mornings, the whole thing is just slow... other mornings it's not so bad, but there's always traffic. Unless it's a Saturday or Sunday. You didn't say.

If you can do the airport hotel, that's an option. There's a range of airport hotels, from cheaper ones to more deluxe options... if you did that, you could sleep a bit later and not have so many worries about traffic. If you book via Priceline, you can probably beat the 300 and still get a 4-star hotel.

If it were me trying to get from RI to a 10:00 flight, I'd do the hotel option--because traffic on a weekday is so unpredictable and the distance is so far. On a good day, you might whizz in early, but an accident anywhere along the route can really mess up your commute. And also because my temperament is such that I like to be early to the airport, don't like too many obstacles if i'm trying to get to a flight. That said, it's totally possible to make it to the airport for a 10 am flight, but it means getting up really early... You could do it either way, but don't leave late....

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

You can routinely get the 4* Hotels at Logan (Hyatt or Hilton) for around $70 on Priceline or Hotwire....It's too early for bidding, or deals now, but as the time gets closer that could be a realistic option.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, our flight is on a Friday morning - so I am very concerned about the traffic. I am really leaning towards overnighting at Logan Airport. Staying downtown won't ease my worries at all.

I've read a lot of posts about Priceline or Hotwire deals at around $90 for the Hilton or Hyatt at Logan, so I will definitely keep that in mind as we get closer to our date.

Thanks again!

Paula

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

Pokee, don't stay at the airport. It's just nasty. If you're worried about the traffic, stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel (Where $300 will actually get you a $300 room.), the Marriott Long Wharf or the new Intercontinental. They are all in walking distance of the very reliable water taxi that departs from the back of the Boston Harbor Hotel.

You can broaden your choices too by taking the T to the airport, either the Blue or Silver lines get you there. Not great with lots of luggage -- but taking a cab is a good option too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

Milermarker's tip on priceline is a good one. I think the Hyatt is very nice. The view of Boston is pretty good. It is perfect if you are going to check in late and leave early on a flight. In back of the Hyatt is a very nice path to walk. I think you will do much better than $300.00 at the Hilton. Even without priceline, I paid $140.00 last summer there.

8. Re: Airport Hotel Night Before Flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:19