We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

Hello...

Looking for a nice, upscale European-type ski resort (think Stowe, VT but I don't want to drive 3.5 hrs--looking for 1-2 hr drive from Boston)...Any suggestions?

I've found Wachusett Mountain and the Wachusett Mtn Inn and Conf Center but any other suggestions? That isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. (this will be for mid-Dec)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

It's not St. Moritz but it is a 2 hour drive from Boston, a part of the ride is the beautiful Kancamangus Highway.

http://www.loonmtn.com/winter/

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

Mount Sunapee in New Hampshire is a nice resort, not huge, but definitely within your desired driving time.

Boston
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

I'm pretty sure I've gotten to Waterville Valley in just over two hours, without traffic. The Snowy Owl Inn is a nice little place right on the mountain. Again, not exactly European, but it should do. Killington's not a bad drive, with lots more trails and amenities. Mapquest it and you might find the ride is under 3 hours? Lots of upscale places to stay there.

Shirley...
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

Found myself puzzling over what you are looking for. When I think of Stowe I think of two things: diverstiy and difficulty of the ski terrain and the "ski town" experience. The closest thing to that would probably be Loon Mt and the town of Lincoln although I don't think Lincoln is quite in the same league as Stowe.

Wachusset is our local day trip ski area, good for some practice runs but not a destination unless you are a beginner.

Sunappe has lots of nice intermediate terrain but there is not a whole lot around. The town of New London nearby (about 20-30 minutes from the Mt) offers a few decent restaurants and some Inns.

Going on up to North Conway you will get more of the ski town atomosphere and access to a couple of decent ski areas. But I would guess this almost 3 hours from Boston.

Oh and noticing that you said mid-Dec. keep in mind that, depending upon weather, most areas will most likely will not be up to capacity yet in terms of trails open.

5. Re: Nice Winter Getaway (1-2 hr drive) Upscale, European Spa/Ski

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 02:16