We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Neighbourhood?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bad Neighbourhood?

Going to Boston with my husband and child next Monday and just read a review about the area we're staying in - Stuart St - that said Tremont St to Stuart to Boylston is a specific area to avoid at night. It also says our hotel (The Radisson) is really nice, to make up for the "not so scenic neighbourhood". Can anyone advise please? Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

The Radisson is located midway beween Copley Square and the Downtown Area, so it's very convenient to either or both. While it may not be the best one in Boston, you'll be fine. It's near the Theater District, so you have lots of foot traffic traffic nearby. And there are lots of restaurants just across the street.

AlanM

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

It's not the best part of the city and it's not the worst, but I think wherever anyone is staying in the city, I think it makes sense to observe typical city-rules about being mindful of your surroundings, etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

Hi fk1701,

We just returned from a four night stay at The Radisson. The area is absolutetly fine. Upon exiting the front of the hotel you have chinatown to your right, back bay to your left and straight ahead towards Boston common/Downtown. We found the area perfectly safe as mentioned in previous post just use common sense, you may want avoid chinatown and around Boston Common late at night but other than that its fine, We walked everywhere and even when returning late at night we usually walked back to the hotel.

Also, The hotel is fab inside if not a little drab on the outside, it also has a pool that is great for kids.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

The area around the Radisson is safe, but as the review you quote says "not so scenic". The streets around the Radisson are wide and full of traffic. As in any big city be careful of your surroundings, but I have to say that I live across the Common and don't feel unsafe at night even in the Common or Chinatown. The area behind the Radisson is called Bay Village and is quite charming. Be sure to take time to walk around it. It's bounded by Stuart, Arlington, Marginal, Tremont, and Charles St. South.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

The review was probably referring to the hotel's proximity (a few city blocks) to Chinatown, the only area in the city licensed for strip clubs (all two of them), and therefore more prone to late night "dates"

The area around the hotel itself is fine, safe, and just not scenic, as th eother posters have mentioned

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

The area around the hotel was referred to as "The Cobat Zone" for many years. It has since been cleaned up with Emerson College buying many of the older vacant buildings and the "late night street workers" finding new areas of the city to ply thier trade.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

So, but the Radisson is not where the Combat Zone was located, which is what's referred to as lower Washington Street.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

That should have said "Sorry.........."

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

Missingmaine is close to being correct. As late as 1990 that block had problems. The street walkers used to walk by the old 57 and swing around by The Roxi.

I had a friend who managed the 57 and we used to stop in for a drink. They used to come in there. The 57 used to employ security guards who were very good. They had a pretty good size staff due to the problems which went on.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Neighbourhood?

Not that I want to go back, but that area was considered a part of Park Square. It was where the transvestite prostitutes hung out, so you're right that at one time it was pretty seedy, but it wasn't part of the Combat Zone. Aaah, things are much better there now.

AlanM