We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips around boston - rent a car?

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips around boston - rent a car?

Hi folks, I am planning a trip to boston over the festive period (26/12 - 2/1) and have a few questions. I would wuite like to get out of the city for a day or two and see a bit of the surrounding areas - are there any places in the nearish vicinity (ie day trips) that would be good to visit? I'm quite happy to rent a car if this is the best way to get around but equally if public transport is available then that's great!

In terms of what I'd like to see, historic sites are good, any nice little towns/villages in the area - a little bit of the local scenery would be good. I understand dec/jan isn't ususally the pretteist time of year but thought of maybe taking a little trip down the coast, maybe into rhode island?

What do you think?

Thanks !

Sandy

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips around boston - rent a car?

Two places come to mind: Newport, RI; Rockport, a former fishing village turned artist colony.; Salem; and Newburyport. All but Newport can be reached by commuter rail as well as by car.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips around boston - rent a car?

I think if I were you I'd rent a car for the day and leave for Newport, Rhode Island. It's the timing that you're here that will be perfect for this visit to Newport, I hope you'll be able to pull it off though, a lot depends on the weather, so remember that! December 26th to January 1st is Christmas vacation, but I think if you pick one of those days during the week and leave bright and early for this little adventure you won't be disappointed. There's a lot going on. Shops and restaurants to browse through and have lunch in AND some stunning mansions to visit. Here's some sites to view to see what I mean about the events for this time of year and attractions they have. I'd say for the time of year you're going to be here? It would be great, IF you have no snow on the horizon!

This one is the Blithe Mansion Gardens & Arboretum, if you get the chance to see it, GO, it's incredible:

www.blithewold.org

Also, the incredible Newport Mansions such as the Breakers, the Elms & the Marble House has a site too, so you'll be very busy during your day trip:

www.newportmansions.org

A lot of places along the coast are seasonal and the warmer months would be ideal for visits to places like Rockport where Newport is an all year destination, there's always something going on with events and attractions.

Newport, RI isn't a bad drive from Boston at all, but more importantly it will depend on the weather reports during your stay, make sure you check with your concierge and also keep checking the local Boston news stations & the weather channel will also give you an idea of what to expect. Hopefully you'll be able to pull this off with no hitches like for instance, NO snowstorms or anything else New England and Mother Nature has in store for you, while you're here visiting, weather wise!

By the way, if you do get stuck with snow and can't take off for a day? You're going to be very busy right in downtown Boston, there's a LOT of events, attractions and sites right here!

Have a wonderful time and let us know what happens with a trip report on Trip Advisor, we'd love to hear all about it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips around boston - rent a car?

I can definitely recommend visiting the Newport mansions decorated for Christmas. We visited last year and they were very pretty. We visited Breakers and Marble House. Breakers definitely all decked out! The Elms is also decorated.

Newport is a great suggestion since there are great restaurants and events etc. to do there.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips around boston - rent a car?

Hi,

If you don't mind renting a car, that's always the easiest way to travel.

Newport is a great idea. I can give you a route there, that will take you along some very quaint Rhode Island seashore towns. While it's proabably best in the summer time, I bet it will be pretty as well during the holiday season. Here is a copy of a post I made last summer. You may or may not want to skip the vineyard tour in the Winter, but the drive will still be very nice.

Hi,

Newport is definitely worth the trip. There's lots to see and do, and the "cottages" are amazing. The trip down is really pretty too.

If you take Rte 24 south until just after you cross into Rhode Island, take the Tiverton/Little Compton exit #5, Rte 77. Travel South on Rte. 77. It's a beautiful ride through the countryside, and along Narragansett bay. Stop off at Tiverton Four Corners for antiquing and some ice cream at Gray's (yum, yum, YUM). Then, continue on down rte 77 into Little Compton and stop at the Sakonnet vinyards for a vineyard tour. Make sure to try some of their wines, which are mostly estate-grown and outstanding. The Rhode Island Red is my favorite.

From Sakonnet, you can continue south into Newport. The ride from Boston to Tiverton is about 1-1 1/2 hours, depending on traffic. Boston to Newport is about 1.5 hours if you go directly on 24 without detouring through Tiverton.

Here's some information for you:

http://www.tivertonfourcorners.com/

http://www.sakonnetwine.com/

5. Re: Day trips around boston - rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 19:17