We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

Short of paying $300 a month for a lot near my location (near the commons and gov't center) what are the options for keeping my car near where I live and parking on street (obviously overnight)? (I will not have MA plates and cannot get a residential spot.) Can this be done in that area? If not feasible, are there places that have on street, overnight. I dont plan on moving the car a lot (mostly on wknds). Can one park an out-of-state car anywhere downtown on street or are they all metered with no chance for overnight parking? thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

In that area, no, it is all metered and/or permit parking. Your best/only choice is a lot.

95% of the city neighborhoods use neighborhood-specific parking permits, with Cambridge and Somerville using city-wide permits.

Will your work reimburse you for the parking fees? Maybe someone else knows of discount, long-term lots.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

Hi,

It depends on how you will be using the car. Will you need it with you during the day, just parking it overnight?

In that case, many downtown Boston parking garages have special "In after 5pm, out before 8am" parking rates that can be as little as $90/month.

If you are near Government Center, I know that the Charles River Plaza parking garage on Cambridge St. offers a special rate like this. At one point last Summer, they had a sandwich board outside advertising $90/month. You'd have to call and see what they are offering now.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

Yeah - it would b 24/7 parking required.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

$300 a month may not cover it in some areas of Downtown. Some areas are more - much more. However, the lots on Northern Avenue (The Parking Spot, for example) is $160 a month. Although this is technically South Boston, it

s only a 10 minute walk to the Financial District. It really is the most economical.

AlanM

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

Hi,

Can I ask why you need the car at all, if you won't be using it much? If you are planning to drive here because you are bringing all your "stuff", you'd be better off shipping it up in advance and not bringing your car.

Otherwise, there is no place in Downtown Boston where you can leave your car on the street overnight that isn't a meter or Resident Sticker parking. In the VERY rare circumstances where you might find Resident Visitor parking spaces, those are technically for 2 hours only, and not overnight. You might get lucky for a few days, but you will be ticketed and possibly towed if you leave it longer than that.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

No - not stuck with bringing/parking it. But trying to figure out all the options before NOT bringing it. Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

If this is work related, you really need to get your company to pay for parking. They've got to accept it is a cost of sending you to Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

Hi,

Check out Craigslist and even post your ad. Look for something on the "T" line.

http://boston.craigslist.org/prk/

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

"They've got to accept it is a cost of sending you to Boston."

LOL - not if your "company" is the US government...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Downtown for 2 months - parking ??

I think posting a message on craigslist is a good idea. People post all sorts of weird requests. Of course you'll have to pay something to park but may be able to find a deal versus paying the monthly lot rates. I would worry about leaving my car with out of state plates in an open lot (not garaged) like the ones in South Boston. I think it would be more of a target.

If you can get by without the car you will find that you can easily get around the city with public transportation. See the "T" web site: www.mbta.com

Then if you want to take some day trips you could rent a car on the weekends and drive to the suburbs or rest of New England.