We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying near Logan airport

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Staying near Logan airport

We are planning on going to Boston in July. I was thinking of staying near the airport and taking the T into Boston during the day for maybe three days and then renting a car and driving to Maine or some other places for a few days. Do you think it is safe in that area?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying near Logan airport

It's not a bad neighborhood and your plan will work. But it is quite pricey to stay AT the airport and unless you stay at the Marriott where the water shuttle is, you'll need to take airport transportation (bus) to the T. If you're going to stay just outside the airport at the Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn you'll need to get a shuttle to the T.

Also, I caution you ... some of the hotels that call themselves "airport hotels" are 5-10 miles away with taxis or their own shuttle bus required to get you to public transportation.

You may be happier staying downtown where you can walk to the T and some tourist attractions and then going back to the airport to pick up a car.

Happy planning!!

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying near Logan airport

I'd rather stay downtown myself. The good airport hotels (3* and higher, close to the airport) are pretty much as expensive as downtown hotels and while they're convenient to the aiport, they're a shuttle and T ride from downtown. As the previous poster indicated, many hotels call themselves "airport" hotels but are 10-15 minutes from the airport. They work as airport hotels if you're parking and flying but with your plan, you don't really want to be riding a shuttle down route 1A so much. The airport hotels aren't in unsafe areas but they're also not in places where you'd take a stroll...most are on busy busy roads in industrial areas.

I think it would be much better to stay downtown if possible. When you go get your car, it's no big deal to just take the silver line to the airport and grab a rental shuttle from there--or rent the car downtown.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying near Logan airport

I agree, stay in Boston, not the airport. If you want something near the highway, with easy access to the airport, try the Millenium Boston across from Faneuil Hall. It gives you great access to a ton of sites and shopping in the area, and you are only a short T ride or cab over Back Bay and shopping in the Copley area. Try Expedia or another such travel service and you might get a great desal. Enjoy!!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying near Logan airport

I have a different view. I believe the other commenters are talking about some of the airport hotels that are up Highway 1A, a remote, very uninspiring industrial (plus large petrol tanks) area.

The three hotels on or next to the airport are quite nice. The best, in my view, is the Hyatt Harborside. Its rooms look across the harbor at the downtown with what I consider to be a world class view, especially at sunset. It sits next to a beautiful new waterside promenade - a gorgeous stroll - and the Logan Airport Water Shuttle dock. You can also take the hotel's shuttle to the Blue Line Airport "T" station. Since you'll likely be taking the "T" a lot anyway, this isn't a big deal, and if it is, one can take the water shuttle.

Next best is the Hilton right in the middle of the airport. Its upper story rooms have views out over the airport to the harbor, mostly north, east and south -- not at downtown. You can either take the hotel's shuttle, or walk via one of the elevated glass tunnels from the terminals. All very civil. You then have instant access to the "T" Silver Line that stops at all terminals, or the free buses that stop at all the terminals and deliver you to the Blue Line. The hotel is relatively new. (I'd still recommend taking the Hyatt's shuttle over there for drinks at sunset -- one of BOS's best kept secrets.)

Next, the Embassy Suites. You must know about Embassy Suites hotels. It's one, so no elaboration now. No views, but it has the conveniences mentioned for the above two. One special one in particular: It's walking distance to the car rental places, especially Dollar, Hertz and Avis. It's also steps from the newly-redone - and very nice - East Boston park (another of BOS's best kept secrets). Actually, you can walk across the park to the Blue Line "T" station -- but not at night because the park isn't well-lighted. (Then call for the shuttle.) The hotel is pretty new.

You really do have a nice choice, and with downtown hotel prices likely to hover around $300/night this summer, the prices are usually a little less.

One last thing: Rental cars are usually a lot cheaper at the airport than downtown.

Boston
Level Contributor
818 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying near Logan airport

Hi,

Well, I think we need another opinion to support the budget minded travelers. The downtown hotels and the airport hotels can break the bank. Staying outside the city, with some access to free parking and the train service (the T) is worth checking out…as an example: Somerville… The Holiday Inn or La Quinta. Or maybe the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying near Logan airport

Thank you for all your input. As you can see I have several months to figure this all out. We don't want to spend a fortune. We really aren't night owls and don't mind taking public transportation - did it in Washington DC and it worked out well.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying near Logan airport

Keep an eye on Hotwire and Priceline as the dates get closer, look for the 4 stars and you will get either the Hyatt or the Hilton....they routinely sell/accept bids for under $100...even in the summer.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying near Logan airport

All I said above notwithstanding, milemarker0 has the real answer for the budget-minded. Priceline. I forgot about it, and friends have gotten phenomenal deals. But it's chancy. Not with regard to quality, but even the bidding game's "floor" rises in July.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying near Logan airport

One last thing: Rental cars are usually a lot cheaper at the airport than downtown

Firewind:

I did not know that, thanks for the tip. One more excuse I can use to get out of picking family up at Logan.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying near Logan airport

I agree pick up the rental car at the airport, not only is it cheaper but you have more of a variety of selections of cars,suv's,convertibles,downtown locations only have a handful of cars on hand.