We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the bigger party day?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the bigger party day?

Since St. Patrick's Day is on a Monday this year, will more people be out in the bars the day of the parade or on the actual day? Or both?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the bigger party day?

The "real" day is always the biggest, but there will be crowds the whole weekend.

AlanM

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the bigger party day?

...parade day...

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the bigger party day?

Parade day is pretty crazy, but back in my wilder days I used to take the actual holiday off of work so I could get to my usual haunt by noon (to be able to grab a seat) and I certainly had plenty of company. Remember, March 17 is a statewide holiday (Evacuation Day), so many people do have it all.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the bigger party day?

The parade is in South Boston and the bars in Southie will be crowded on parade day. Other bars, especially those with any inkling of 'Irish' (no matter how artificial), are traditionally busy on March 17th. I would suspect they'll all do their best to market it as "St Patrick's Day weekend" and you'll find plenty of partying on both days! So, I'm sure you'll have plenty of company on both days.

Also, Evacuation Day is not a state-wide holiday, like Patriots Day. Evacuation Day is officially observed only in Suffolk County, Somerville and Cambridge where schools and gov't offices are closed. Banks, post offices, etc, are open. And, I'm pretty sure the T runs a regular schedule (not a holiday schedule) but I'm not 100% sure.

5. Re: Which is the bigger party day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 04:20