We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berklee college of music and surrounding area

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Mexico, USA
4 posts
Save Topic
Berklee college of music and surrounding area

Hi, I am considering going to the five week summer program at Berklee. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the surrounding neighborhood, what the campus looks like, and fun things to do in the area for a teenager on a budget (Parks, etc.). Is is a good neighborhood?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
995 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

Berklee is on the edge between Back Bay, a rather upscale area and the Fenway area which is full of Northeastern U. students. The Fenway is a large park (and on the other side is the baseball Fenway Park) which is very nice in summer. There are a lot of colleges in the area besides Berklee; Northeastern U., New England Conservatory, Boston Conservatory, Boston Architectural Ctr., Simmons (women mainly), and Emmanuel (women mainly). Boston U. is nearby. The area is close to museums and to clubs and activities (Newbury St., a block away, is a major hangout area for young people.) and a short subway ride (or longish walk) from Boston Common, the Public Garden, downtown, and Beacon Hill. All in all, it's a pretty good if somewhat congested area.

Berklee is an urban campus, i.e., no lawn and trees. It's a group of buildings scattered around near the intersection of Massachusetts Ave. and Boylston St. I'm in the area on a regular basis and frequently see groups of Berklee students congregating on the sidewalk or heading somewhere. They are easily identifiable even when they're not carrying instrument cases!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

Hi,

Berklee is an urban university without a real "campus", per se. If you like the idea of being in the center of the city, with lots of activity, etc, then it would be fun. It's a good neighborhood, as mentioned, with lots of students around. There are clubs, bars, restaurants, cheap student hangouts, etc, all around that area. The Fens is a nice park to hang out in during the day; lots of students sunning, playing frisbee, etc.

It's convenient to the T, so you can get anywhere you want in the area. You can also walk from there to most of Downtown Boston, including the Common, Quincy Market, North End and Waterfront.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

As previous posts mention you'll be living in the city surrounded more by structures than greenery. The city is your campus. From a safety standpoint as long as you use good judgement you'll be fine. As for activities for a teenager (I assume you are in high school), you are coming at a terrific time. There are so many FREE offerings in July and August including concerts, theater, dance, movies. Berklee is a fantastic school with a wonderful reputation. Good luck!

New Mexico, USA
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

Thanks! I really appreciate all the information you've given me, a local standpoint is always the best. As for the urban setting, here in Santa Fe, I get enough small town and greenery.

I absolutely cannot wait! The information about the safe neighborhood will be very helpful with my parents.

Thank you again

P.S. Are the buildings (Residence halls, etc.) close to eachother? I assume so.

New Mexico, USA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

One more thing :)

Would it be practical to take the T from logan airport to campus with all of my gear (Large suitcase, max 2 guitars). I'm used to lugging all my equipment arouind, but it might be hard in such a busy area.

If not, I could hire a cab, but money is an issue, and I'm assuming that it would be pretty expensive (Been working all the time just to pay for the program and airfare.)

Thanks again.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

It would be a pain, but assuming you can carry the suitcase, hold one guitar in your other hand and have one on a strap, you could manage. As long as it's not rush hour, that is--then you would get in people's way.

You have to take the airport shuttle to the airport station, take that to Government Center, then switch to the Green Line and get off (I'd imagine) at the Hynes Covention Center stop.

I'd rough it on the T and save your money. I wouldn't tell my mom to lug that much on the subway, but you're young, you can handle it.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

Richard-I am not sure what Residence Halls they use in the summer - that would be a question you should ask the school. The ones listed are on Mass. Ave, Comm. Ave, and Hemenway each of which are blocks from each other but certainly reachable by foot. If you go to Google Maps, plug in the addresses, then click on street view - you'll get a glimpse of the area. I'm surprised the Berklee website doesn't have a virtual tour like most of the other schools.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

To give you more to work on, the taxi would be around $30 or a little more with the $6.50 toll and airport adder. The "T" is $2.

9. Re: Berklee college of music and surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 00:16