We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Midwest
3 posts
Save Topic
BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Hello! My husband & I are planning a trip to BOSTON this summer w/ our 12 year old twins. We have yet to make reservations but we were thinking around 4th of July. We will pry travel around 10 days & are thinking of flying into BOSTON, staying for a few days & driving up the coast but don't know where to go. It seems as if the hotels in BOSTON are fairly expensive but is there one that really stands out above the rest? Is is worth the money to stay at the TAJ or Four Seasons? Which neighborhood? Back Bay?? We call my husband 'Dr. Safety' so safe is very important! LOL. Please let me know your thoughts. We do not want to drive in BOSTON, would like to be able to taxi or walk everywhere. We love to go out to eat & cocktail in the evenings in addition to sightseeing.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Boston sounds like a great city for you. It is very safe, but you would have to use the normal precautions you would use anywhere.

Around the 4th of July is a very busy time in the city. Rates are normally high anyway, but exceptionally high at that time. Back Bay is a great neighborhood, but you can also stay in the Downtown and Waterfront Areas as well. Aside from safety, what else is important to you? What do plan on seeing? That would help us in terms of area and hotel. History? Art museums? Music? Shopping? We need more data....

You'll find you can walk most everywhere and for further distances you can take the "T".

AlanM

NYC
Level Contributor
147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

One of the best kept secrets in Boston that has grown in popularity over the past couple years is that The Boston Pops do a full rehearsal on Jul 3rd. You obviously don't get the fireworks it being the 3rd and all, but you also don't get the 20,000 people that show up on the fourth. you can bring some snacks and make a little picnic out of it.

It's an amazine experience of great music that your family will remember for a years.

Boston
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

If you are planning on being in the city on the 4th of July and do want to see the fireworks, consider booking yourself into one of the local hotels within walking distance of the Esplanade. You may not know this, but some folks camp out for days ahead of time to get a good spot for the concert. However, I've had luck just strolling over at the last minute and finding a little corner somewhere to hear the music and see the fireworks. See if your hotel has a balcony or roofdeck for watching the fireworks. Try the Fairmont Copley Plaza, Omni Parker House and Intercontinental Boston and ask for their 4th of July specials. I hope Dr. Safety has a good time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

If you are not interested in the Pops 4th of July concert and don't like crowds, coming a week later the hotels will be cheaper/more plentiful.

Traveling with 12 year olds should be great fun to see the sites of Boston -- Freedom Trail, Fanueil Hall, Duck Boat tours, Museum of Science, Whale watch/harbor boat tours, trips to Boston Harbor islands, Museum of Fine Arts, tour of Fenway park, etc. (since the kids are old enough to lots of walking but not yet in the disinterested teenage years!)

Midwest
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Okay, I'm new to this website so please be patient..LOL

Thank you for your recent replies to my new question. I was told to post on forum so more people have the opportunity to reply.

New question...is there a car rental place outside the city of Boston where we can get out of here & drive up the coast to Maine? I'm nervous about the traffice in Boston. We will be departing Boston Saturday morning for our drive.

Is there anywhere you rec'd for us to stop along the way? Our reservations are currently in Boothsbay.

I'm assuming we will not be able to see the fireworks from the TAJ rooftop, is that correct? Is there anywhere we can make reservations for dinner REALLY early to be able to see them a little bit?

Also, do you have any suggestions where we can eat lunch outside while we are sightseeing, my husband prefers to ALWAYS sit outside...

Unfortunately, there is not a baseball game while we are there...would you still suggest touring FENWAY?

Also, if any of you are familiar w/ the following restaurants, please let me know your thoughts...Thanks in advance!

Giacomo's, Ma Soba, Casa Romero, Mamma Marias, Legal Seafoods & The Daily Catch.

We would like to know if we should hit these at lunch or dinner or not worth it & should skip. Do any offer outdoor dining? We would be bummed if they don't have a decent wine list or good margaritas.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

I'd go back the the airport for a rental town. Downtown to the airport is like 15 minutes by taxi.

If I remember correctly, Boston to Boothbay is about 3.5 - 4 hours. You could stop in Kittery Maine or York Beach or Ogunquit or Old Orchard Beach ... although those may be a minor detour off of 95.

As for the restaurants ... Daily Catch on Northern Ave is my all time favorite and it has outdoor seating. Daily Catch in the North End, on Hanover Street is tiny, all indoors. Do your kids eat fish? It's all about seafood at the Daily Catch, no chicken, no burgers ... It's prepared simply or more elaborately. My two favorites there are Monkfish Masala and Swordfish Vinaigrette ... which I request served OVER pasta (rather than with a pasta side dish). My kids love a piece of broiled or fried haddock w/ a side of pasta.

Mama Marias and Giaccamo's are great, but no outdoor seating, although Mama Maria's has a second floor 'porch' w/ lots of windows. I went to a private function in that room once and all the windows were opened and you could hear the horse-drawn carriages passing on the street.

There's several outdoor dining options at Faniuel Hall/Quincy Market. Also, for lunch, you can always pick up sandwiches and eat outdoors in Copley Square, the Boston Common, Christopher Columbus Park near the Aquarium/North End or along the waterfront near the Aquarium and Boston Harbor Hotel.

Happy Planning!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

I used to really like Casa Romero but I was there about a month ago and felt like the place had really gone downhill. The atmosphere is still nice (and they have a great patio in the summer) but the food seemed overpriced and mediocre. I understand about paying for a location, but I was still underwhelmed.

The Daily Catch is great.

There are a lot of places up and down Boylston and Newbury Streets that offer outdoor seating. I like Parrish Cafe (on Boylston) for lunch--they serve sandwiches created by various Boston chefs.

The Fireworks start after 10, so if you eat at 7:30 or 8 you should be fine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Going back to the airport to pickup the rental car may be the cheapest option. Also when you return for your flight home you can just drop the car at the airport. Driving from the airport to the outer suburbs (leaving Boston) shouldn't be so bad traffic wise. The traffic/driving problem happens when you try to go from one point in the city to another point as there are lots of one way, confusing streets unless you are from here. But remember you will be leaving the city so you can take major highways to leave the city for the Maine portion of your trip.

Good suggestions on places to stop in Maine by the previous poster. I would suggest also to consider stopping at LL Bean store in Freeport Maine. It is a fun store to stop and right off 95. LL Bean is open 24 hrs a day all year long. Freeport also has some outlets and shops. Portland Maine could also be a fun place to stop.

llbean.com/shop/…retail.html

Definitely the Fenway tour would be interesting and fun for you and your children. There is so much history there to see.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Are you looking for 5 star hotel service like provided by the Taj or Four Seasons? Both of those are very expensive. How about something for less money like the Colonnade Hotel. It's a great hotel with a rooftop pool for the kids. Or even the Radisson Boston gets great reviews, a good location and an indoor pool. I keep mentioning pools because I know I loved having a hotel pool when I was their age. If you really want to stay in a 5 star hotel, I would pick the Boston Harbor Hotel over both the Taj and 4 Seasons. JMO

Every neighborhood in Boston proper is as safe or safer than other metro cities. There are a couple rough neighborhoods but you'll be nowhere near them. Just be mindful of the little things like not leaving your wallet in your back pocket in high traffic areas like Fanueil Hall. Boston is very walkable and if your feet get tired, the transit system is quick and efficient.

Midwest
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: BOSTON vacation summer of 2008

Hey, thank you so much for all of the information, very much appreciated! Our 12 year old twins eat EVERYTHING! Sushi & THAI being their favorites, my husband LOVES seafood and I'm italian so that is why I asked about the restaurants. Big eaters, big drinkers! LOL.

Thanks again for helping us out! I can't wait to see BOSTON!

I may look at other hotels after reading some of your comments...