We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

Hello. We are going to arrive in Boston the latter part of August through Labor Day and want to stay three nights in Boston and then head into the New England states for 5 nights. Should we go to Vermont, New Hampshire, and even Maine? Any help with suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

Your trip sounds very similar to ours! We'll be arriving in Boston in mid-August and touring New England for 12 days.

We are going to stay in Boston for 4 nights, then we are heading to Vermont for a wedding. We are going to drive through New Hampshire. We have kids, so we're going to stay in North Conway and visit Storyland and do some tax-free shopping at the outlets there. We'll most likely tour the area, too (White Mountains are supposed to be gorgeous and you can drive up Mt. Washington).

In Vermont, we'll be staying in St.Albans, but most of the action is near Burlington (Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory, to name one we'll be doing with the kids).

We're going to drive down to Mystic and stay there for a couple of days. There's actually quite a few things to do there. The Seaport is supposed to be nice and the Aquarium is rated better than the one in Boston.

Next we'll be driving up through Newport, RI to visit a friend and staying one night. Then we fly back through Boston.

It's an easy circle trip - you should try something similar. I tried to fit in Maine, but just couldn't swing it. There wasn't too much that we want to see there, so I cut it. It would be nice to eat some Maine Lobster, but I am guessing we should be able to get some in Boston, Mystic or Newport. You could easily drive up the coast of Maine and then cut over to NH.

Have a great time. I have already reserved my car rental and my Boston hotel - still looking for more deals! I am having a hard time trying to decide where to stay everywhere else!

Paula

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

Hi,

All three states, ME, VT, NH are beautiful and have a lot to offer a tourist. With 5 days to plan, I think you can probably see two out of the three comfortably, or all three if you are determined and don't want to do any in-depth exploring. Maine itself is a large state and can easily take up 5 days if you wanted to.

Obviously, if ocean and seashore scenery is important to you, you will want to visit Maine. If you want dramatic mountain scenery, the Kangamangus Hwy in NH is definitely a must see, along with a ride on the Mt. Washington Cog Railway.

I'd suggest that you go on the web and contact each of the state's tourism bureaus and get the free vacation guides, and use that as a basis to start planning out an itinerary. Once you have something planned out, it's easier for us to comment.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

I've done NH and VT in 3 days. Definitly go to the White Mountains in NH. So pretty! Also, the Ben & Jerry's Ice cream factory is always fun on your way to Burlington, VT. Finally, Burlington, VT is right on Lake Champlaign and gorgeous. I love going there in the summer hanging out at the peir, going to their bars, restaurants, and downtown shopping area. Peacful compared to Boston!

Hope that helps!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

If you want to see a little bit of Maine, Ogunquit is not too far from Boston (maybe 2 hours from downtown) and has a beautiful rocky trail along the ocean called the Marginal Way, that winds right out of town and is lined with summer homes. The south coast is full of restaurants and shops (Kittery is an outlet town).

Do plan ahead however since that part of Maine is very crowded in August, especially on weekends since it is so close to Boston.

From there it is not too far to loop into southern New Hampshire and head north to the White Mountains, or west toward Vermont.

Warning: Entering Maine can be habit-forming!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

Thank you all for your advice. I wanted to run this itinerary by all knowledgeable New England travelers:

1st night - 8/23/08: Arrive Boston and drive to Portsmouth, NY for the evening.

2nd night: Stay in Portland, Maine

3rd night: Stay in Camden, Maine

4th night: Stay in Bar Harbor

5th night: Stay in Bar Harbor

6th night: Stay in Burlington, Vt

7th night: Stay in Boston

8th night: Stay in Boston

9th night: Stay in Boston with an early flight out the next day.

What do you think? Any suggestions or tweak to the itinerary.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

oops..the first night will be Portsmouth, NH. Sorry that I put NY. Let me know all your thoughts. :-)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

That "side" trip to Burlington Vermont for one night will be a killer. I think you need to skip that one.

AlanM

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

Thanks so much for the advice. I just reworked the itinerary and will not go to VT this trip. I am looking at this itinerary now. What do you think?

1st night - 8/23/08: Arrive Boston and drive to Portsmouth, NY for the evening.

2nd night: Stay in Portland, Maine

3rd night: Stay in Bar Harbor

4th night: Stay in Bar Harbor

5th night: Stay in Camden, ME

6th night: Stay in Salem or Rockport?

7th night: Stay in Boston

8th night: Stay in Boston

9th night: Stay in Boston with an early flight out the next day.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

I had forgotton in your other post that you were coming in August. I would go for Rockport, but anywhere in the Cape Ann area will really work for you.

10. Re: Boston/New England - Help With Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 10:24