We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Bay, or waterfront? where to stay?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Back Bay, or waterfront? where to stay?

Going to Boston in Sept. Torn on where to stay? Back bay or the Quincy/Finacial/Waterfront. I am torn between two hotels, The Jury in back bay or the Wyndham near the waterfront? Any ideas? Please help. Thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Bay, or waterfront? where to stay?

Well, they are very different areas, but you may want to stay in Back Bay rather than in the Quincy area. Though both have great hotels, Back Bay is more centrally located and in my opinion, easier to navigate. Back bay is also where a lot of great resturants are, where Newbury Street is located, and is withing three T stops of the Public Garden and Boston Common. The waterfront is nice, especially the North End area which is very close to Fanieul Hall could also be a good choice, but is a longer distance from the T and harder to navigate when new to the area.

Both of those hotels are fabulous though, but I think my favorite might be the Jury in Back Bay.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Bay, or waterfront? where to stay?

Thanks for the info. It helps.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Bay, or waterfront? where to stay?

Either hotel is a good choice, but I like Jurys if only because it used to be Boston's police headquarters. The Wyndham is more of your "standard issue" higher-end establishment, which of course is OK too.

Both areas have a great deal of sightseeing, shopping, eating, and night life opportunities near at hand; indeed, they're not far from each other. But the Back Bay and South End are more conducive to roaming: more shady, quiet side streets (one thing the North End, by contrast, is not famous for is its trees LOL) and less of a "cow path" layout. The Wyndham's immediate vicinity gets pretty deserted once the banks and offices have emptied out for the night, but the streets surrounding Jurys bustle until all hours in comparison. While the financial district is quite safe at any time of day, I doubt I'm the only one who gets a sense of foreboding after dark when walking down streets "canyoned" by vacant buildings and shared by few other people.