We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching and best route to the beach...

Kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching and best route to the beach...

I'll be flying into Logan and staying at the JOhn Jeffries House in May. I would like to go on a whale watching tour and see the beach for a day. Would love to see Nantucket, Cape Cod, or MV, but that is probably too far since I'll be taking the subway everywhere. Any suggestions as to a beach or anything I can take via public transportation?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

The only real beach that you can reach by subway is Revere Beach. However, in May the water is extremely cold, so I would guess you're not going to be doing any swimming. And that's really all that Revere Beach has to offer.

How about instead going to Rockport, a fishing village turned artist colony with a nice little shopping area and great viewpoints of the ocean from cape Ann. There is also a little beach nearby, but again, the water's going to be mighty cold.

AlanM

Kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

Rockport would be cool. I assume I can get there by subway? What about taking a ferry to Provincetown. Can I get dropped off and tour for a day?

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

Rockport is a nice daytrip---the commuter rail takes about an hour from Boston. It's a couple of blocks to town. It feels like the Cape with lots of littls shops and seaside dining.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

It would cost more to go to P-Town (as opposed to Rockport, or anywhere else on the commuter rail line) but a day trip there would be fun.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

How would I get around Rockport after I take the commuter rail? Is everything within walking distance?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

Yes. You can walk to Bearskin Neck and the little beach, if you so desire. The commuter rail schedule is in mbta.com.

It wasn't mentioned previously (at least I don't remember) that you need to take a ferry to Provincetown. It's about 1.5 hours each way on the high-speed boat.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

Note: There is a distinction between the subway (Red, Blue and Orange lines) and the (Purple lines) commuter rail. And between the subway and the (Green line) trolley lines.

The commuter rail that goes to Rockport also stops at Gloucester, where you could walk down to the whale watch boats (1/2 day excursion), then maybe go back and get the train to Rockport. Or vice versa.

The boat to Provincetown is fun, but for a day trip doesn't give more than a couple of hours before returning to Boston on its limited schedule.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

If you are here after May 16, the full ferry schedule to Provincetown would be running. See www.baystatecruises.com for information. This would be a full day excursion. If you went, you should plan on doing a whale watch from Provincetown. It's closer to the whales, so there's less travel time than with Boston or north shore whale watch boats.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

I agree, if you are here at the right time, a trip to P-town might be worthwhile.

Also, check out 'Cape Ann Transit Authority' you could take commuter rail ('purple line') to Gloucester or Rockport and catch a bus to the beach ... but again, I think they have a more limited schedule 'off season' and the begginning of may is still 'off season', so it would depend on how late in the month you'll be here.

10. Re: Whale watching and best route to the beach...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 14:16