We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Quebec City

Salem
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Quebec City

Help! Traveling to Boston in July to go to Cape Cod and then on to Quebec City. We plan to rent a car and drive to Quebec. Any suggestions about Cape Cod or interesting sights to see on the route to Quebec City??

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
462 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Quebec City

You might want to check out the Cape Cod forum for more detailed answers about the Cape. But just briefly I'll mention a few things to do or see there. Do not fail to visit the National Seashore, for example, at Eastham. The beach and the land is really spectacular. I like the area around Marconi Station (Marconi, the inventor of the telegraph). Provincetown is a fascinating and beautiful town, very arty and funky, with a huge huge wharf and lots to do. We took a whale watch from there last summer and had a great time (we picked a calm day -- just a tip).

I like to go to the Cape Cod League baseball games, which are located all over the Cape. You can look them up on line. These games are popular and it's fun for families. They have concession stands, etc.

There is a lot of theater on the Cape too, for example, in Chatham and in Provincetown.

You can take a seal watch trip out of Chatham or Harwich -- last year we easily saw many seals from the town pier at Chatham. Chatham is a nice all-around town and a good location for exploring the Cape if you have several days. Oh, and the Audubon sanctuary in Wellfleet is spectacular. There are lots of wonderful nature trails on the Cape.

On your way from Boston to Quebec City, it seems to me you might go through Vermont (but I'm not looking at a map right now). Vermont is so beautiful. You might plan to stop for a break in one of the zillions of gorgeous little villages in Vermont, or in the big town of Burlington. I like Brattleboro, which is in southern Vermont.

Is Montreal on your way too?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Burlington
Burlington
Massachusetts
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Quebec City

The most direct route to Quebec City is north on I-95 to Maine, then north on US-201. Going via Vermont is considerably longer in distance, although more of the trip would be on Interstate quality roads. Going via Maine, you could visit, depending on how much time you have, north shore Massachusetts towns like Salem and Newburyport, Portsmouth NH, Kittery ME (home of L.L.Bean and a huge number of factory outlet stores), the Maine coast, and Portland ME. All the towns/cities mentioned are will worth a visit. Once you get on US-201, the country is very picturesque and very, very empty. Do you plan to stop for the night enroute? Maybe someone else knows the time better, but I think the last time I drove, a number of years ago, it was around 10 hours from Boston to Quebec City without any significant stops.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Quebec City

I've driven this route before.....Québec City is 400 miles from Boston. From Boston take I-93 North to I-91 at St. Johnsbury, Vermont. After crossing the border, I-91 becomes Autoroute 55 follow this to Autoroute 20. All in all it should take you about 5-1/2 hours. That's with no stops or sightseeing.

When renting a car make sure it's OK to take it across the border. I remember not being to take our Hertz rental into Mexico. Now whether that was something in Arizona, I'm not sure.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Quebec City

typo..............it should read 6-1/2 hours.........

I apologize

London UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Quebec City

last October (2007) we drove from Quebec City to Boston. I was concerned about the length of the drive, but the roads were fine. We left Quebec at about 8.30am and arrived in Boston at 5pm, including several stops along the way. We took the Maine route (rte 173 in Canada and then 201 in Maine and then on to the I95). The roads in Northern Maine are a delight -empty! At the border we were the only car (US plates with an English driver) and had no problems.

The only thing to remember is that one moment you are in the wilderness and the next in the big city. Enjoy Quebec City (we managed to stay at Lowe's and had a wonderful and quite reasonable breakfast on the revolving restaurant)

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
London UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Quebec City

Hi there. Last October (2007) we travelled the other way from Quebec City to Boston. I had some concerns as to the length of the journey but in the end there were no problems. I took the Maine route, ie from Quebec 173, into Maine then US201 to the I95. we left QC at about 8.30am and arrived in Boston at about 5pm. The roads in northern Maine are empty (anyway on a wet Sunday morning in October!) The area is pretty. We made a number of stops on the way.

There was no problem at the border even though there was a surprise when we pulled up (only car) I was driving with US plates and a UK passport.

Quebec City is wonderful. Check your hotel booking as they are celebrating their 200th (or is it 300th) birthday this year. We managed to stay at Lowe's, if nothing else go to the revolving restaurant on the top and have breakfast therefor wonderful views of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
7. Re: Boston to Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 09:20